Talk

Advanced search

How do you stop your toddler from touching your Aga?

(11 Posts)
Penthesileia Wed 10-Jun-09 15:29:26

We've recently bought an old house which has an (old! early 1960s!) Aga (still going strong, apparently) in it. We've not moved in yet, but I am a bit worried about our 1yo DD burning herself on it when we do.

Is there some kind of Aga-guard one can buy? What do you use?

Or is this a non-problem?

TIA. smile

chipkid Wed 10-Jun-09 15:32:48

I have had two children and an aga and neither of mine have ever touched it! My ds was into everything but for some reason he never went too near to it-I guess he could feel the heat from it without going too near. If the toddler touches the outside of the doors-he will not burn himself-he will fast discover that it is hot to the touch.

SusieDerkins Wed 10-Jun-09 15:34:20

It's never been a problem for us. I just said "don't touch, hot" and if they touched it they realised I was telling the truth! It gave ds2 a bit of a shock (no damage) but that was it and he only did it once. The top right is the hottest (mine's a 3 door) and they are for more likely to touch the lower door, if at all.

callalilies Wed 10-Jun-09 15:35:11

The outside isn't so hot that touching it will burn your DD, but as chipkid says, it's hot enough to mean they learn not to touch.

My DS was only ever in the kitchen with me there anyway, so I just made a point of saying 'HOT!' everytime he went anywhere near it, he soon got the picture!

Penthesileia Wed 10-Jun-09 15:38:44

Thanks for your replies. I did wonder if this was a bit of a non-issue! grin

I shall chant "hot hot hot" all the time. grin

hobhey Fri 12-Jun-09 18:37:10

we have had an aga since my 6 year old was born, we actually find it safer as because it is always hot she never goes near it, unlike a cooker which is sometimes on and sometimes not. The great thing is that it is permanently churning out the heat and you can feel it without getting too hot, wonderful. Aga run evenings for getting to know your cooker so get yourselves booked on one partner too, they are great fun and usually free!
Once you have used one you will never go back, you can have it changed to electric or gas too i think, if it is a solid fuel one.
Find your nearest aga shop and ask for info, they are used to people inheriting agas, indeed there is a website especially for you, look under aga, enjoy!!

TheFallenMadonna Fri 12-Jun-09 18:41:09

LOL at the very MN question!

PIL have a Rayburn and it was never a problem even for our visiting and therefore not accustomed to it DC. In fact now DS leans against the rail to warm his bottom just like hte rest of us (PIL's house v v cold).

mrsmaidamess Fri 12-Jun-09 18:42:00

Set your Brown Lab on him. That'll teach the blighter. Stuff and Nonsense!

pippibluestocking Fri 12-Jun-09 18:42:58

Trust George Monbiot's partner won't be contributing to this thread!

violethill Sun 14-Jun-09 18:11:05

I'm sure the nanny will sort it out grin

nickytwotimes Sun 14-Jun-09 18:20:22

violethill - my thoughts exactly. grin wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now