Talk

Advanced search

Drains blocked........

(12 Posts)
npg1 Tue 09-Jun-09 19:28:18

I have just been outside clearing my drains and now feel really sick!

The drain where my kitchen sick water runs to was overflowing. Sometimes I have to get a stick and clear the grating to let the water flow through into the drain. Well there is still abit of water underneath the grating and im not sure this is normal? I have used the stick to try and get the water to go away but it wont and I cant feel a hole where it should flow away. I also pulled out a load of hair (yuck) and there was bits of rice and I could see some fat (I do normally put fat from mince etc in a tub and throw away but there has been a couple of time I have put it down sick.

I then lifted a drain in the ground which is for the loo and that was fine so im not sure where this kitchen sink one flows away to?

Also we have a similar one where the washing machine flows into and again that has loads of old washing powder blocking it and water underneath the grating.

Does anyone know what i can do please? and if this is normal about the water being underneath?

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Jun-09 19:33:23

sounds like they could do with a good clean.

I think the best thing you can do is get someone out to do a proper clean.
but, if you can't afford to/don't want to then you can buy big things of sulphuric acid based stuff from robert dyas which works quite well.

beware though it is nasty stuff to work with, and although it'll clear most stuff it comes into contact with it might not leave it as clean as if you get professionals out.

I've used it on my drains and they've stayed relatively clear for about 6 months, but def need something doing to them again soon

whomovedmychocolate Tue 09-Jun-09 19:44:26

You need caustic soda - you get it at DIY stores - big rubber gloves too. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY and keep kids/pets away while you are using it.

Water puddling underneath indicates it's slow draining and will be blocked quite soon if you don't do something about it.

Your soil pipe is separate from your kitchen waste pipe although they do connect together further down the line.

npg1 Tue 09-Jun-09 19:47:36

Thanks for your help!

Where the water is puddling I cant seem to feel where the water i meant to be flowing into underneath the puddle, is there a small hole it sshould flow through and where abouts would it be? In a corner, in the middle? Im confused!

Thank you very much, typical that OH is away for 3 weeks!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 09-Jun-09 19:49:52

Don't worry about that - there will be a grate - if it is coated with icky stuff you won't feel it. Caustic soda will dissolve all the grease. It may take up to 12 hours to eat through it. Generally there is a grate in the bottom left of the drain. But don't go poking it - you may break the grate if it's coated with heavy gunk.

npg1 Tue 09-Jun-09 19:56:17

Ok thanks, will try that tomorrow! I wont poke!

npg1 Tue 09-Jun-09 20:54:44

just been reading up about Caustic soda, it seems like really bad stuff and im worried about using it now! I have also cleaned the whole drain and top grate with bleach tonight so some of that might be in the drain still a there is water puddling. I have alo jut tried bicarb and vinegar with little effect.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Jun-09 09:17:34

As long as you have flushed out the bleach with at least twenty times the water to bleach it will be fine. The cautions are there to warn you but as long as you are sensible it's fine. It is harsh stuff which is why you have to flush it out with a lot of water afterwards but it's chemical halflife ( the amount of time it stays nasty is actually not that long - and if you are chucking tons of bleach down and nothing is working it is the last line of defence before calling for a rodding engineer.

ABetaDad Wed 10-Jun-09 09:34:28

Try and get someting flexible like a stiff steel wire or flexible rod to push down the small hole you can feel.

An old wire coathanger opened out with the hook end pushed will be good. It may well be congealed fat.

You can buy drain rods from a good hardware shop and far cheaper than getting someone out. Quite easy to use.

npg1 Thu 11-Jun-09 20:29:29

I have got some caustic soda now, not used it yet.

I have tried the coat hanger down there but that didnt work and I couldnt feel anything.

Probably do it tomorrow now.

npg1 Sun 14-Jun-09 13:12:43

ok so did the drains last night, added 100g to 1 litre of water as the instructions said and it hasnt worked. Do I add a stronger solution or not?

andirobo Sun 14-Jun-09 13:35:54

The drain should have a hole in the side about half way up. There will always be water in the bottom of this, as that is how they work - it is so the heavy stuff sinks to the bottom and the water flows out throught the gully into the pipe, so your pipes dont get bocked!

We have similar problems - both my daughter and I have long hair and that is generally a problem.

Do you have a manhole on the drive somewhere? This is where your pipes from the house run to and then run into the road, and into the council / Water Company sewer system? It would be wise to get this lifted as you can see if that is full of rubbish. It will also helo if you can get hold of rodding poles. You will need some manhole keys to lift it, and they are quite awkward to get up as they get stuck down with silt and weeds. I cant lift ours as it is a cover with block paving in! The keys can be bought from B&Q type places, but if you call someone out, they will have them.

If you need to call someone out, phone your local council first, as they are not out to make a load of money - they usually are quite helful! I am not sure how much you pay these days, but it used to be around £120. They bring the big machine and flush loads of high pressure water down it - like your pressure washer - which is an option you could try at home if you or your neighbours or anyone you know locally has one.

HTH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now