Talk

Advanced search

Following on from the changing beds topic, how much washing do you do a week?

(13 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 08:50:20

I must admit to having a back log of washing, when I finished work a month ago, in fact I actually bought extra vests and sleepsuits in order not to have to worry about running out when I was working. (and my excuse for having far too many clothes for DD), However given that I have the smallest washing machine ever which is also my dryer, bad weather really effects my washing. The house gets mouldy if I dry indoors too much. However I am always doing washing, am i the only one?

DD has clean vest and sleepsuit/pjs for bed every night, then a clean set of clothes everyday. She has grobags so any leaky nappies are contained. DH has work clothes and then chenges when he gets in, and I don't have a lot of clothes so where does it all come from? Am hoping with the nice weather coming I will get on top of it soon, is it really me????

Geepers Tue 09-Jun-09 08:57:20

To be honest I don't understand how people get behind with washing. It takes 5 minutes to throw it in the machine, add powder and turn the machine on, then it washes itself.

I can understand a backlog of drying, for those who don't have a tumble drier/can't afford to run one etc. tho, but there's no reason not to get the stuff washed otherwise.

alicecrail Tue 09-Jun-09 08:59:12

I really stuggle with laundry, but getting a tumble dryer has totally changed my life! (how sad is that?) It means that i can get a load of washing washed and dryed everyday, even when the weather is crap. I used to have to rely on radiators,line and an airer and in crap weather (most of the year) i could have one load of washing drying for two days and my house always felt a bit damp.

I find now, that if i don't do a wash everyday then it only takes two days to get out of control again. Oh, and i do bedsheets and sofa throws every weekend.

Hope that helps smile

bellavita Tue 09-Jun-09 08:59:15

I do about 10 loads a week. I am already on my 2nd load this morning and there is a 3rd waiting to go in.

If I can avoid it, I will not dry stuff in doors. I think my next door neighbour must think I run a laundry service as I am always pegging washing out - in the three years that she has lived here, she has pegged out twice!

And I never ever leave my washing out on the line overnight or if it rains!

Btw there are four of us, me, DH, DS1 (12) and DS2 (9).

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 09:14:06

Mines a washer dryer and it takes ages for drying, I do washing every day. And will not leave out overnight or in the rain.

I never used to be behind when there was two of us!

Its a crap machine, eg if washing DHs jeans can only put two in, if i out three in then there are dry patches.

insertwittynicknameHERE Tue 09-Jun-09 09:20:31

I generally do a wash every other day, and probably an extra one at the weekend due to the bedding.
I am expecting it to be one a day again when DD2 arrives as she will be in reusable nappies. DD1 wont wear them now and screams at me until I take it off her hmm

If you have your windows open (even slighlty) when drying indoors I find that you don't get any mold problem and the it drys quicker.

titchy Tue 09-Jun-09 10:04:27

10 loads a week shock

We do about 4 or 5 a week (2 adults, 2 school-aged dcs). Our standards are low though grin - bedding - one load a week. Swimming gear (kids used the scummiest towels for swimming as I know they'll be washed later that day) - one load a week along with whatever else can be crammed in at the same time. Then 2 or 3 more loads.

Dh tends to change into the same pair of jeans and sweatshirt in the evenings, so assuming wears clean stuff at the weekend there's only 5 of his workshirts, 2 pairs of jeans, a sweater and a couple of t-shirts plus socks and pants of his to wash each week - basically that fits in one load. Kids have two or three changes of uniform a week plus jeans and a couple of t shirts at weekends. I tend to wear thin tops for work, and skirts or trousers which last 5 days so there isn;t too much.

Can't understand needing to do more..... Also bung everything in the drier and put it away as soon as the drier's finished - which basically means I iron very little.

I am a lazy working slattern mother of two though

Fimbo Tue 09-Jun-09 10:16:09

I can easily do 10 loads or more a week (4 of us).

I do separate mine out though into blacks, whites, coloureds, delicates etc.

bellavita Tue 09-Jun-09 10:34:09

Fimbo - I separate mine out too. This morning I have done a dark load, our bedding is in now on a hot wash and their is a light load waiting.

Fimbo Tue 09-Jun-09 10:38:12

Yes, I keep reading of people who bung everything in together and it all turns out ok. Anytime I have tried that, something always go wrong. wink

Sonnet Tue 09-Jun-09 10:45:55

Depends on size of washing machine.
I managed for 6 years with a small washing machine and no tumble dryer. The only way to keep on top of it was to wash at least one load each day. Quite a challenge when you are a working Mum. I would put a load on at night and hang on the airer in the morning.On the day I didn't work It was going all day...ditto the weekend....

I then got a tumble dryer and that made such a difference.

2 months ago I got an 8 kg washing machine and I can only say my life is transformed............

booyhoo Tue 09-Jun-09 12:37:20

when OH is home i wash everyday, i hang out everyday but my line isnt big enough for everything so i have to dry indoors, all my windows are open all day long so damp isnt a problem. the only thing is it takes longer than the line dried stuff. on good blowing days i'll get half the wash hung in the morning and its dried by lunch so i hang the second half out.

when its just me and dcs i maybe do about 4/5 washes a week.

fairydust Tue 09-Jun-09 21:26:04

i easily manage with 10 - 15 washes a week
beding for 3 beds done on the weekend then there a towel wash every other day to be done as well

tumble dryer is used lots and the things that ca'nt go in there either on the line or radiators.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now