Talk

Advanced search

Dining room/kitchen

(10 Posts)
FabulousBakerGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 16:23:09

When we moved here we had one 6 month old and fed him in the kitchen in his bouncy chair then high chair. Our dining table was in the dining room with DH's piano and a couple of bookcases.

2 more children later and the table is in the kitchen (we used to have a cheapie table in the kitchen with the decent one in the dining room) and the kids eat in there. The dining room is still called that but is home to the bookcases, a new piano, a few toys and the computer.

The table and chairs were expensive and are pretty much ruined but we won't replace until the kids are older.

For no apparent reason I decided today that we should move the table back into the dining room and that would give me more space in the kitchen and I could possibly have the computer in there.

On the basis that the kids are messy eaters, my 8 year old drops food on the floor at every meal, and we now have decent carpet, is it an insane idea?

<disclaimer I have had a bump on my head when a hammock hit me in John Lewis today. {ouch}>

mrsmaidamess Sat 06-Jun-09 16:25:08

Yes insane.

Because you can't keep an eye on them while they are eating/dropping food/spilling stuff, and you will become a glorified waitress shuffling back and forth all day.

Put your Pc in the dining room instead. Make it a playroom.

littlelamb Sat 06-Jun-09 16:27:33

I wouldn't have a computer in the kitchen tbh. And I am lucky that we have wooden floors, a carpet would have been ruined long ago <<eyes up stains on lovely cream sofa and weeps> I'd leave it as it is until they are older. Or get a massive tarpaulin to put under the table wink

FabulousBakerGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 16:28:33

PC is already in the dining room and some toys are there.

Not sure why I am wanting more space for the kitchen really as then I would need more storage and that would cost me more money.

Watching them doesn't stop the 8 year old kids dropping food on the floor. Mucky pups.

FabulousBakerGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 16:30:01

Must be quickest decision made but I think I will leave the table in the kitchen and try and sort out the dining room.

Would like it as a playroom but nowhere else for the PC, piano and bookcases to go.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 06-Jun-09 16:32:27

I would never put a dining table in a room with carpet. In your shoes I would keep the table in the kitchen and keep the dining room as a playroom/computer room.

We have a wooden dining room floor and when I'm cleaning up the debris it always goes through my mind "Why oh why does anyone have carpet in a dining room?"

( I have a 9yo and a 4yo)

FabulousBakerGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 16:34:53

We have carpet in the dining room because it is off the lounge and since DH took the dividing doors off, it would look odd with floor boards next to carpet. We used to have floorboards all the way through but when baby number 2 came along and was learning to crawl I was worried about her hurting herself when crawling on a hard floor.

alicecrail Sun 07-Jun-09 10:00:16

We bought a small garden tarporline(sp?) to put under DD's high chair that can be emptied after everymeal and can even go in washing machine. Very effective and cheaper than a splashmat

ChasingSquirrels Sun 07-Jun-09 10:03:43

or get a dog - they eat the dropped food
although they create other issues...

FabulousBakerGirl Sun 07-Jun-09 12:02:09

We would love a dog but not while we have a cat. The stress would kill her. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now