Talk

Advanced search

100% linen skirt

(5 Posts)
BlueCowWondersAgainAndAgain Thu 04-Jun-09 10:32:18

no lining, very plain etc. Would you wash it? The label says dry clean but not sure if I really need to.

macherie Thu 04-Jun-09 10:43:17

I always wash linen that has a dry clean lable on a regular cycle, 40 degrees then an extra spin and hang it up to dry, iron it when its about 70% dry and it should look perfect.

If you're a bit nervous use a delicates cycle at 30 degrees.

I wash silk and cashmere like this as well.

Local drycleaner doesn't get much business from me!

BlueCowWondersAgainAndAgain Thu 04-Jun-09 10:47:49

my worry is shrinking...

Trying to work out what is more cost effective if it's a good quality skirt that I got very cheap (so would I replace it if it did shrink!)

macherie Thu 04-Jun-09 11:10:28

If you do it at 30 deg delicate the chances of skrinking are minimal, as that's practically cold.

Or if your machine has a cold wash, do that.

I've never had any problems with shrinkage.

I think the main thing is not to let it get too dry ie don't tumble dry it, that's what would cause the shrinkage as the fibres contract.

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sun 07-Jun-09 10:53:05

i washed (and tumble dried) a 100% linen skirt and although it needs an iron, it looks and feels the same as it did before the wash.

I did it in the washing machine on a hand wash programme and then cool tumble for 30 minutes before hanging it on a hanger to finish drying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: