Talk

Advanced search

tips for washing windows required

(11 Posts)
MavisGrind Mon 01-Jun-09 20:12:44

I just can't wash windows without them looking like I've just moved the dirt and smears about. My attempts sometimes actually make them look dirtier. I've tried again today and frankly they look crap. I've never managed it - tips needed please!

mrsmaidamess Mon 01-Jun-09 20:13:15

Microfibre cloth

Rubyrubyruby Mon 01-Jun-09 20:13:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsmaidamess Mon 01-Jun-09 20:15:22

Of course you could pay a window cleaner

snigger Mon 01-Jun-09 20:22:09

Buy proper old fashioned 'scrim' - I got it online, so I don't know if it's a high street item, but a rinse with warm vinegary water (although DH swears by Fairy Liquid) as per rubyrubyruby, then dry off with the scrim - nil streaks.

Having said that, I'm an utter hypocrite - I make DH do it twice a year.

MavisGrind Mon 01-Jun-09 20:24:22

I have considered a window cleaner but I live in the middle of nowhere so I think it's a diy job. One window has feathers stuck to it blush - I tend to get birds bouncing off them hmm.

I thought newspaper didn't work anymore due to the properties of modern ink? I may have made that up.

Rubyrubyruby Tue 02-Jun-09 09:28:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Size6Feet Tue 02-Jun-09 20:35:03

I use either my husbands glass spray for his car or Mr. Sheen multi cleaner works well too. And I use plenty of kitchen towel so the dirt doesn't build up.
If the windows are really grubby I wash with soapy water first.

welcum2mynightmare Wed 03-Jun-09 12:16:53

Hey there, this works absolutely brilliant and ive tried evrything from commercial cleaners to steam cleaners blush buy or wash up an old spray bottle mix together 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, spray on and dry with newspaper. AMAZING!!! The dishwashing liquid helps remove wax residue that has been left from commercial cleaners wink cheers

Ripeberry Wed 03-Jun-09 12:19:35

Ditto, water, white vinegar, drop of washing up liquid and newspaper is perfect!

abraid Wed 03-Jun-09 12:32:50

Ditto again for vinegar solution. Cheap and brilliant.

The other tip is to make sure the cloth is completely squeaky clean and hasn't been washed with too much washing powder, as that can leave residue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now