Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know a quick & efficent way of cleaning hard floors?

(9 Posts)
mumof3monkeys Sat 30-May-09 21:30:55

We have gone form lots of carpet to a mix of polished concrete & bamboo floors and it takes 1 hour to vaccuum & mop (I dread to think how disgusting tha carpet was blush.

Does anyone know a magic gadget that can do both at once?

littleboyblue Sat 30-May-09 21:36:10

You can get microfibre flat mops that are supposed to pick up dust and clean at same time and they can be used wet or dry. I have one as have laminate floors throughout flat, I find I still need to sweep and hoover but I do little often, never the whole area or it gets too overwhelming. I sweep and mop bathroom and corridor in morning, kitchen in evenings, and livingroom everyother day. I hoover once/twice a week as have carpet in 2 bedrooms and I wizz around the rest of the flat then (normally a tues and a thurs as are bedchange days and I like to hoover mattresses)

whomovedmychocolate Sat 30-May-09 21:41:56

I sweep then mop. If you get a long handled brush and dustpan thing it's no problem. Then I mop with a vileda blade mop (it's just a big sponge you can squeeze through the handle). All surfaces get one teaspoon of washing up liquid, one tablespoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of disinfectant (we have a 10 month old who is constantly eating things found on the floor).

ThingOne Sat 30-May-09 22:49:12

I brush up the messy bits then go round with a damp flat headed "mop". I have a cleaner who vacuums once a week. After that I only sweep and mop unless it is terrible.

If I'm mopping and there are scuzzy bits I spray first with ecover green spray, and leave for a bit.

You're right, though, that carpets are rank wink.

mrsmaidamess Sat 30-May-09 22:50:02

I push those wet floor wipes round under the mop

abermum Sat 30-May-09 22:57:26

scooba by irobot grin

ThingOne Sun 31-May-09 17:33:05

envy

mumof3monkeys Thu 04-Jun-09 19:15:34

Looks like I'll have to live with it

Thanks for your advice

Twirl Thu 04-Jun-09 19:36:16

Definitely get a scooba for hard floors. I just got a roomba and it has transformed my life! V sad I know. I am now going to get a scooba just as soon as we have paid off our hols...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now