Talk

Advanced search

New house is a little bit smelly - any tips please?

(16 Posts)
pasturesnew Sat 30-May-09 13:31:58

Our family moved house last weekend. The previous owners were clean and the house is in good shape generally but they had a dog and I can still smell it a bit and also the cupboards smell really musty. The floors downstairs are wooden and the upstairs floors are carpeted. I've tried cleaning them! Do I just have to wait a bit for the smells to go away or are there any good products I can buy?

I am pregnant so maybe my sense of smell is a bit too sensitive at the moment!

Thank you

nickschick Sat 30-May-09 13:35:56

I would hoover the carpets perhaps use that 1001 carpet freshener.

wipe out all the cupboards with a flash/mr muscle or pleasantly scented anti bac spray.

give the floors downstairs a sweep and clean them with an appropriate cleaner.

open all the windows and either buy some plug in fresheners or leave cut up lemons and oranges around.

Treat yourself to a big bunch of flowers too...

nickschick Sat 30-May-09 13:36:41

just re read and realise your pregnant - i bet its your heightened sense of smell grinpass your dh the hoover wink

JackieNo Sat 30-May-09 13:40:28

I'd avoid anything too chemically - you could use saucers of bicarb around - that's good for absorbing smells. Possibly also to sprinkle on the carpet, then hoover out. But definitely get your DH to do it (agree, could well be your heightened sense of smell - as you live in the house more, it'll start to smell like yours, I'm sure). Maybe some essential oils, rather than plug-in air fresheners. And keep the windows open as much as possible.

pasturesnew Sat 30-May-09 13:41:27

Thanks! Do lemons & oranges absorb smells? I don't want to just cover up the smells although have thought it is good reason to buy loads of lilies grin

nickschick Sat 30-May-09 13:48:00

I dont know if they absorb smells blush but they smell nicer than stale air lol maybe oranges and lemons and saucers of bicarb.................I luuuurve lilies too smile

JackieNo Sat 30-May-09 13:48:58

I'm not sure that lemons and oranges would actually absorb the smell, but they'd make the place smell nicer anyway - maybe combine with the bicarb (or cat litter apparently, though that may be more for damp problems so maybe one for your musty cupboards...)

JackieNo Sat 30-May-09 13:49:38

x-post with nickschick grin. I really don't like the smell of lilies, but that's just me smile.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 13:55:02

I use bi carb. Sprinkle it all over the carpets(ensure they are dry), leave over many hours, then vaccuum. You could leave it for several days if you wanted as it's as harmless as you can probably get and as long as you don't wet it(because if you do, you'd need to leave it to dry out totally before vaccuuming), it will be fine.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 13:56:49

Use vinegar/water solution and wipe out your cupboards with it, leave to dry naturally. I also spray this solution into the air/onto curtains as a natural air freshener.

JackieNo Sat 30-May-09 14:20:08

(but white vinegar, not malt wink )

noddyholder Sat 30-May-09 14:23:38

Clean all floors{hard0 and cupboards with a weak hot white vinegar solution Hang wet washing to dry in all the rooms with the windows open

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 14:24:58

Yes! white vinegar grin

pasturesnew Sat 30-May-09 16:36:19

Thanks everyone, will try these out.

roneef Sat 30-May-09 16:50:32

It might not be smelly as such, just someone elses smell...

When we moved in to our house it took ages for our house to smell familiar

Am good clean and through airing are good (as others have suggested)

pasturesnew Sat 30-May-09 19:05:05

good point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now