Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning a memory foam mattress?

(16 Posts)
CandleQueen Wed 20-May-09 14:55:58

DS1 snuck into bed with us last night, and when we woke he was in a puddle. It's only a small patch (large dinner plate sized?) but our mattress is sprung with a memory foam top.
Anyone any suggestions for cleaning it? We've tried gently sponging with water, but don't want to wet the mattress too much.

CandleQueen Wed 20-May-09 15:48:48

Shameless bump, because I don't want a stinky bed tonight!

CandleQueen Wed 20-May-09 16:06:01

Smelly bed it is then.

mosschops30 Wed 20-May-09 16:08:12

Its virtually impossible to clean any mattress never mind a memory foam one (unless its done professionally).
Would it be worth claiming on your house insurance (my mum had to do this recently when my father was incontinent in bed).

We're waiting for a memory foan matress to be delivered, is it lovely? Have bought two mattress covers too, because the mattress we have now is stinking blush

curlywurlycremeegg Wed 20-May-09 16:11:52

I have a gorgeous Tempur, my sleep has never been more comfortable (although still broken due to too many kids wink)it is worth it's weight in gold and have always used a breathable waterproof matress cover on it. I would suggest trying to sprinkle bicarb of soda over the stain and the hoovering it up after an hour or so as the bicarb does help absorb odours.

BelfastBloke Wed 20-May-09 19:25:03

My DW is going off our Tempur, as she's finding it really hot at night.

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 21-May-09 07:33:39

I do find it a very "hot" mattress, but as I am normally freezing in bed it's a plus for me

ShannaraTiger Thu 21-May-09 07:38:52

Thanks curly I was going to start a thread on cleaning a memory foam mattress, hope you don't mind me hijaking this one. We've got bad damp in our flat and ds's mattress has a patch of mould underneath, yes we only have a protector on the top angry Might try the bicarb, any other suggestions.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 21-May-09 07:51:55

No help on cleaning, although we found bicarbonate of soda did help a bit when the cat weed on the bed.

Am thinking that we should have probably claimed on the insurance then rather than just buying a new mattress....

CandleQueen Thu 21-May-09 23:11:26

Gentle sponging, and then bicarb seems to have helped.
Thanks folks.

And yes, it is a lovely matress, very supportive, but foam gives it a softness too. But it is a very hot mottress, I like to keep cool (turning my pillow to the cool side several times a night!) so I wriggle and roll to find the cool patches!

firstyme Sat 23-May-09 13:06:12

Yes Bicarb does help but even tried this solution .Not very cheap around £10 but it's so worth it.I always keep one with me.Ideal for those with pets AND small children.
have a look at this page .... scroll to the bottom and they talk about cleaning the mattress...

firstyme Sat 23-May-09 13:22:26

Sorry forgot to write which solution...it's PAWS....i think it's in the link

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 24-May-09 20:19:42

Message withdrawn

JoJoUK2000 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:51:52

Check this out ...
www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-a-memory-foam-topped-mattress/

JoJoUK2000 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:55:14

Do a Google search for: how to clean a memory foam mattress

jshaft13 Thu 09-May-13 16:29:37

To dry the mattress especially single ones. Lay on side next to a radiator and rotate as necessary. 'Dries within a day'.
Make sure to soak up most of the moisture before hand by tramping up and down to squeeze the water out and laying towels on top and beneath to soak up the excess...may need to do this a few times and change towels if you have soaked thoroughly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now