Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to get a toaster that doesn't deposit crumbs all over the top with every use?

(9 Posts)
memoo Sun 03-May-09 12:46:24

Trivial but its driving me mad! I tend to have bought quite cheap toasters so wonder if this has anyhting to do with it.

If I buy a more expensive one is it less likely to do this??

gardeningmum05 Sun 03-May-09 12:50:15

no,they are all crap at that sad

memoo Sun 03-May-09 12:54:30

mines about to be chukced in the bin!!!!

SunglassesPolarBear Sun 03-May-09 13:01:03

Mine is a Russell Hobbs one, quite expensive I think (was a wedding present) and haemmorages crumbs everywhere it goes despite me cleaning the crumb tray and banging it upside down over the sink regularly. Thank you for starting this thread, because I keep meaning to!
My mum claims this doesn't happen to her, but I think her toaster just knows its place and wouldn't dare - if I borrowed it it would start.

BeehiveBaby Sun 03-May-09 13:03:31

I keep my toaster in an eye level cupboard so the crumbs never get a chance to settle. My mum and grandmother are really judgey about toasters on display, no idea why!

SunglassesPolarBear Sun 03-May-09 13:10:17

How very odd! Maybe they just get sick of the crumbs, I am continually wiping them up. Probably slatternly to admit this, but I wouldn't if they were in a cupboard!

choccyp1g Tue 22-Sep-09 10:16:37

I'm reviving this thread, because my toaster has just packed up with a bang. Does anyone know a toaster that has a proper crumb tray such that ALL the crumbs can be extracted. I don't see the point of the teensy trays that they mostly have.
Or failing that can anyone recommend a toaster? I can't decide whether to go for cheapest possible, and assume it'll last a year at most, or go for a fancy one. My last one was a Russel Hobbs, and has lasted 9 years, but it has always annoyed me that you can't get all the crumbs out, and crusts got stuck in the bottom.

Mmmmcoffee Wed 23-Sep-09 14:25:33

I bought a cheap melamine tray in a pound shop. My toaster lives on it, all the time. I gave up trying to get the crumbs out of it til I worked in a cafe, they used to unplug the toasters and carefully pour a bit of water into the bottom, let it sit 10 mins then swish it around and pour it out - by the morning it was dry and it must have been safe, they never blew up!

mathanxiety Thu 24-Sep-09 05:12:18

I put a piece of tin foil under mine cos I was afraid anything else would melt. I moulded it into the shape of a tray grin. Why are toaster crumbs so sticky?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now