Talk

Advanced search

help- tiny tear in leather sofa

(10 Posts)
Ruby01 Thu 30-Apr-09 08:45:52

Hello all, can anyone help there is a tiny fingernail width tear in fairly new leather sofa can any tell me whats the best way to repair this before it grows across the whole seat,

Advise needed urgently, many thanks

HolyGuacamole Fri 01-May-09 00:26:42

Maybe this kind of thing?

HERE

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 01-May-09 00:37:29

I found a cut about 3/4 of an inch long in one of my leather seats 15 years ago ~ no idea how it got there. I was distraught as it was hideously expensive.
I rang a place(upholsterers/repairers)up and he told me how I could repair it myself.

Take the cover off, use a piece of leather(I cut up an old leather jacket)and glue a piece of it to the reverse ~ suede side to suede side, then clamp it close together(I used telephone directories!).

I swear, it's stronger than the original chair!

Ruby01 Fri 01-May-09 11:56:32

thank you all so much have done the reapir so lets see how it goes

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 01-May-09 12:29:41

How did you do it? did you buy a repair kit or follow solo's leather repair tricks?! wink. Hope it works well for you whatever you did. It's a nightmare when something like that happens.

I used copydex glue btw. Glue both pieces of leather, allow to dry slightly before applying.

Ruby01 Fri 01-May-09 14:59:24

nope had and old knackered leather sofa in the garage which the dog sits on - cut off a piece of leather and stuck it suede to suede but big heavy ornament on it and its done-- in hind site maybe should not have used superglue as area has become a little bit stiff but other wise very happy with my repair job

thanks all of you ---- btw this is my first ever thread and its been a great success

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 01-May-09 23:56:04

Good for you! grin

MerlinsBeard Sun 03-May-09 15:17:37

Glad it worked, we have a huge rip in ours Not fixable by us as the covers don't come off and we cancelled the insurance on it 6 months ago as we needed to cut back. not covered by house insurance as it happened as we moved house

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 04-May-09 00:17:43

MOM. Why can't it have happened in the new house 2 months or whatever in? It's not like you've ripped it on purpose in order to get a new suite...

BunnyFunny Wed 03-Aug-11 19:24:55

Hi, I purchased a leather glue kit on ebay, it is made up by a guy that repairs leather in cars but it worked great on our sofa.

There are full instructions on the ebay listing. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Leather-Repair-Glue-Kit-best-glue-leather-/170567781090?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item27b6a1cae2#ht_1092wt_905

Very helpful seller told me never use superglue on leather it will make it crack. Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now