Talk

Advanced search

URGENT PLEASE HELP ME! Full tin of water based paint on carpet aARRGGGHH

(11 Posts)
KingCanuteIAm Fri 13-Feb-09 16:33:31

Please tell me someone has a solution for this?

It says tools to be washed in water but it is a mettalic effect paint so it goes kind of gooey rather than drying straight away.

I have scrapped as much as I can up - the paint is blue and the carpet is cream sad
It is still wet so I am hoping it is not too late....

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 13-Feb-09 16:34:47

Lots of kitchen paper to absorb as much as you can?

If it's water-based, when you've got as much of it out as you can, can you not just keep sponging it until it's all out? <hopeful>

KingCanuteIAm Fri 13-Feb-09 16:36:48

It won't absorb because it is metallic...

Oh bloody hell sad

I suppose I will try sponging it, there is just so much!

KingCanuteIAm Fri 13-Feb-09 16:37:40

Thank you for the reply btw!

Will go and try abit more scrapping before I get the sponge out

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 13-Feb-09 16:38:01

I think if its still wet then lots and lots of rounds of water and blotting should get rid of the worst of it it. It will take a long time and don't let it dry!

If it doesnt work its the kind of thing your insurance should pay for I'd hope.

Good luck!!!!!!

Lulumama Fri 13-Feb-09 16:38:22

oh i feel your pain.

a few years ago DH had just bought a lovely sports car, and we were transporting a 12 litre tin of paint in it which tipped over and filled the entire back seats !!

3 hours of scrubbing got it out..

washing up brushes and soap and lots of elbow grease got it out.

water based paint will come out eventually, if it was gloss it would never come out.

you have to keep scrubbing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 13-Feb-09 16:39:17

btw - your name is pretty apt for this; can imagine you holding out one hand trying to order the tide of paint back!

KingCanuteIAm Fri 13-Feb-09 16:39:59

Thank you all!

Looks like the children will be making me lots of cups of tea whilst I scrub then! (every cloud and all that [wink}

KingCanuteIAm Fri 13-Feb-09 16:40:48

grin thank you - that made me giggle

<wonders if it is worh a try>

DontlookatmeImshy Fri 13-Feb-09 16:44:46

Have you got a vax machine or a neighbour who could lend you one quickly, then vax, vax, vax and then vax some more.

KingCanuteIAm Fri 13-Feb-09 19:08:46

Lulumama - I can just imagine the colour of the air around your DH grin

So, nearly 2.5 hours solid, 1 roll of kitchen paper, 1 roll of toilet roll, 1 broken knife, i pack of wipes, 1 dishcloth and 2 decent blisters later I have managed to get it almost back to normal! I have just taken a break to make tea so I have covered it with wipes in the hope it will stay wet enough to have another go later on <sigh>

And the moral of this story? If you have 4yo dc, who love to help, make sure you do not mention that the tin of paint needs to be put away later grin

Thank you for your replies everyone! I would probably have thrown up my hands and called it an impossible job if you hadn't all given me hope that it could work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now