Talk

Advanced search

How can I remove felt tip pen from a wooden table?

(12 Posts)
mumto3boys Sat 17-Jan-09 13:34:35

My lovely children have drawn and written their names (!!) all round the edges of my wooden dining table and matching coffee table. sad

Is there a way to remove without sanding?

psychomum5 Sat 17-Jan-09 13:48:11

oh dear.

no advice, sorry, but I will sit here with you waiting to find out as my coffee table also has pen.....altho not names, mine just scribbled<sigh>

purepurple Sat 17-Jan-09 13:56:08

I know from experience that baby wipes are good for removing wax crayon from some surfaces, not sure about felt tip but it won't do any harm!

Isaidno Sat 17-Jan-09 14:06:04

you could try neat washing up liquid, or dabbing with methylated spirit. I would test on the underneath first in case something worse happens.

whitenoise Sat 17-Jan-09 14:08:59

assuming that you have tried baby wipes? That always works on felt pen on our wooden table

mumto3boys Sat 17-Jan-09 15:17:11

Update - I have tried Bicarbonate of soda, toothpaste, hairspray, kitchen spray, wipes, washing up liquid.

Not all together of course and have washed with water in between!

It has faded significantly but still there.

mckenzie Sat 17-Jan-09 15:23:08

have you tried Johnson's baby wipes? They seem to be the best at getting stains out (scary isn't it? Baby's bums and ink stains on wooden tables hmm)

staryeyed Sat 17-Jan-09 21:08:55

Ds did the same on our light wooden chest. The only thing that removed it was diluted bleach but it did take the finish from the wood.

paddingtonbear1 Sat 17-Jan-09 21:12:08

our coffee table has some felt tip on it. I've managed to fade it but not get rid of it completely. It is a dark wood though so doesn't show that much. Baby wipes didn't work but I haven't tried Johnsons ones!

fadrickbills Sat 13-Apr-13 11:03:05

If the wood has been sealed it should come off with any domestic cleaner. if not try nail varnish remover followed by using sugar soap.

Kitchen Cabinet

nancy75 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:05:26

Perfume, sounds mad I know but it gets pen off wood.

chubbachops Sat 13-Apr-13 13:54:18

Baby oil or a hairdryer and soapy water

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now