Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We seem to live in Silverfish city. Any ideas on how to get rid of them??

(8 Posts)
fishnet Tue 06-Jan-09 15:34:35

We're in a rented property at the moment which is lovely apart from the fact that there are silverfish everywhere. In particlar in the laudry room which is very small with no window and an inadequate extractor fan so always warm and humid.

They come out at night and are spreading to other areas of the house. They seem to live under the skirting boards/cracks in between floor tiles. Last night I took some clean laundry upstairs and left it on the bed and then found two in our bed when we climbed in - seriously gross.

please give me any silverfish extermination tips!

purepurple Tue 06-Jan-09 19:45:19

get on to your landlord to get the place treated.They just spray it and it is perfectly safe for kids

pickupthismess Tue 06-Jan-09 20:03:17

OOh, I'm dying to know about this too. We seem infested with the little buggers and I found one in the bed the other night and had a screaming paddy. But I don't want to kill them as I know they don't cause any harm so I keep putting them outside.

liahgen Mon 12-Jan-09 17:46:56

bump

admylin Mon 12-Jan-09 17:51:17

We had them here when we moved it but I went round and cleaned under every crack in the floor and along the skirting boards then I put lavender oil down the cracks. Not sure if they hate the smell or it poisens them but they've gone and I now just put a few drops of oil in my water when I wash the floors.

I know you can buy traps and spray stuff but we tried it and it stinks. Not sure about using it with dc around.

MamaG Mon 12-Jan-09 17:52:02

Imagine how cool it would be if you did live in a place called Silverfish City!

missingtheaction Mon 12-Jan-09 17:53:36

Best cure for anything like that is make the place less comfy for them - which for silverfish means less damp. You can kill the current crop but if you don't change the conditions then more will come along.

Coldtits Mon 12-Jan-09 18:11:51

Anything permethrin based

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now