Talk

Advanced search

AGAs AGAs AGAs AGAs AGAs AGAs AGAs AGAs AGAsAGAs AGAs AGAs.........

(225 Posts)
NotanOtter Mon 05-Jan-09 22:04:09

its a minefield

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was going to buy a new one - all singing dancing with power flue fitted 10K then AGA say heres a £1000 off due to recession s0 £9.....

Then we had supper on NY day with some friends who say 'why oh why are you buying new?'

So then i wonder why i am?

why am I?

BUt i look on the internet and cannot even find where to buy re conditioned ones - bar ebay which is just not an option really

Advice from thosed more learned than me PLEASE!

Thanks

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:05:07

grin
what do you want to know NaO?

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:05:31

other than do not buy electric

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:07:15

here's a reconditioned site

NotanOtter Mon 05-Jan-09 22:09:55

Thanks for the help ingles

Really i just want o know if people generally reckon if i can get reconditioned for <5 grand - if i should do it - is there a 'down' side to re conditioned?

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:14:57

yes you should be able to, specially as I've read loads of articles about struggling sales of agas/ rayburns both new and recon. Whereabout s are you?
I don't think there are downs really. An aga is really just a brick that heats up and then discharges slowly. There isn't really anything that can go wrong ifswim
<exception my blardy electric aga sheesh>

NotanOtter Mon 05-Jan-09 22:18:27

ahhh ! is it not good Ingles? ( did you buy it new? wink)

i am in Yorkshire

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:21:07

we did <smacks forehead hard>
would never buy new again.
I'll have a look for some sites

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:23:11

da da!

NotanOtter Mon 05-Jan-09 22:26:49

Ingles???

How on earth have you found that we have TRAWLED the internet!!

you star wink

NotanOtter Mon 05-Jan-09 22:31:38

even dp is making appreciative noises in your direction

mwah mwah

will ring them tomorrow

Millarkie Mon 05-Jan-09 22:32:10

What's up with your electric Aga Ingles? Mine's electric, t'is 20 years old (had all the rods replaced last year) and going fine.

NAO - what type are you looking for? these people seem to be selling reconditioned ones.

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:32:55

I googled aga sales yorkshire wink

Millarkie Mon 05-Jan-09 22:34:19

£3500 for an oil/lpg/gas 2 oven on that site

Ingles2 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:36:06

well it's not very old Millarkie, and was farking ridiculously expensive. So far it's had new rods, and 2 different electric boards at a £1000 a pop.
Sigh... I do luurve it though.

RiaParkinson Tue 06-Jan-09 18:02:00

Its me the op!

Had a ring round today and am now SERIOUSLY looking at reconditioned - seems wise

none of the re conditioned people recommend the 'power flue' though - said it was loud and buzzy...

Ingles2 Tue 06-Jan-09 20:52:40

That's great RP.
I've never seen a power flue in action, but I can guess it's noisy. I can't imagine it's really needed either.
What colour are you going for?

RiaParkinson Tue 06-Jan-09 20:58:29

pewter i think ( i see you yawning!) - I am nervous nervous nervous but the bloke I am keenest on sounded great and had been in business 20 odd years ...

His mild geordie accent helped

RiaParkinson Tue 06-Jan-09 20:58:47

wink

Ingles2 Tue 06-Jan-09 21:01:46

oooooo fancy!!! grin
How funny, I too have a mild geordie accent.

RiaParkinson Tue 06-Jan-09 21:15:46

what colour is your Ingles?

funny about the accent - it's true what they say - i was swayed by it!

Ingles2 Tue 06-Jan-09 21:35:32

it's cream.... I need to think about getting some new chrome lids they have got really scratched though.
Make sure you get some aga lid mats, and never balance any pans on them. or use astonish on the lids (cream cleaner)
and my final piece of advice is....
your xmas cake will take 18 hours in the bottom oven grin

constancereader Tue 06-Jan-09 21:38:46

I would buy a new one because they re-enanmel the reconditioned ones and it doesn't look as nice.

delightedoldbag34 Tue 06-Jan-09 21:42:19

I bought a reconditioned 2 oven aga (gas) in Black. It looked and performed like brand new. It was fab. (We have moved house and no longer have it - boo). I think at the time (about 3 yrs ago) it cost about £4500 ish. The bigger 4 oven was a bit more expensive but as a family of 4 the 2 oven was more than enough. I originally was skeptical of the 'reconditioned' and the scary woman in the Aga shop tried to put me off (and get me to buy one of hers for twice the price!) by telling me horror stories.
Anyway it was delivered on time, took a day for the man to assemble and was fabulous, shiny and wonderful from day 1. Can't remember what the company was called though blush. I really wouldn't buy new unless money is no object (and even then it's a waste of money IMO). Will try to find out the name of the co we used and get back to you.

delightedoldbag34 Tue 06-Jan-09 21:47:24

constancereader - mine was re-enammelled black and looked exactly, totally identially to my MIL's brand new Aga. Even she couldn't tell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now