Talk

Advanced search

Can you substitute white WINE vinegar for white vinegar?

(11 Posts)
RiojaLover75 Mon 22-Dec-08 14:23:57

Not in cooking but for cleaning??

Or am I mad? grin

lovelylullaby Mon 22-Dec-08 14:27:35

Just checked the cupboard, i use white wine vinegar for cleaning - unblock the sink by pouring it down with bicarb of soda.

RiojaLover75 Mon 22-Dec-08 14:33:11

LOL, excellent I like your style lovely.

I read that you can clean your washing machine out with it. How much do you think I should use?? grin

lovelylullaby Mon 22-Dec-08 14:39:13

Ooooh not sure about that one. I know my friend puts cups of it in her wardrobe though to remove any nasty niffs.

Check out this link, they are suggesting you can put it in with the clothes:

http://www.netmums.com/h/n/HOMELIFE/HOME/ALL/983/

lovelylullaby Mon 22-Dec-08 14:40:12

Sorry:

www.netmums.com/h/n/HOMELIFE/HOME/ALL/983/

lovelylullaby Mon 22-Dec-08 14:41:41

Ooh, by the way, i bang a load of bicarb of soda on a damp j-cloth and use it to wipe out the inside of our washing machine.

RiojaLover75 Mon 22-Dec-08 14:46:24

Ooo it says white WINE vinegar is better than white vinegar.

Have just sloshed in about 1/3 of a bottle. Am washing my shower curtain as it's shamefully, ahem mouldy blush.

shitehawk Mon 22-Dec-08 14:47:45

It's not the same stuff - you shouldn't use white wine vinegar for cleaning (it's too damned expensive, for one thing!).

White vinegar is distilled, just like the malt stuff - white wine vinegar is fermented with real white wine. It won't do the same job and will bankrupt you if you try to use it in the same quantities you'll need for cleaning.

RiojaLover75 Mon 22-Dec-08 14:50:38

Ooo shit shite. Too late already done it! Ah well it was out of date anyway.

Ooops am giving away too much about my housekeeping here arent I?? Mouldy shower curtain and out of date food blush.

lovelylullaby Mon 22-Dec-08 15:11:36

Ooh, I've had the same bottle on the go for at least six months. Then again, maybe that says something about my housekeeping... Lemme know how the shower curtain comes out - ours could do with a spin in the machine.

RiojaLover75 Tue 23-Dec-08 14:43:42

Well it worked! Although the shower curtain was a bit beyong saving TBH. It's still a bit orangy at the bottom but it's a damn sight better than it was!

Will buy two new ones in the sales and alternate them and wash them regularly I think blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now