Talk

Advanced search

So is it lazy of me to get a cleaner for two hours a week...

(24 Posts)
Jic Tue 16-Dec-08 21:51:04

when I'm a SAHM? I've got a 2.5 yo and a newborn 7 wks and think i could do with some help but now im starting to feel guilty and a bit lazy. Do other people do this? Is this reasonable?

mrsmaidamess Tue 16-Dec-08 21:51:45

Of course its reasonable woman! Its the best thing I ever did. It keeps you sane, and stops dh moaning.

FairyMum Tue 16-Dec-08 21:52:35

Go for it!

jollyholly Tue 16-Dec-08 21:52:37

No, definitely not lazy, when you've got two little ones you have to do what ever you need to keep you sane.

lou031205 Tue 16-Dec-08 21:54:35

yabu - donate it to me! Seriously, if you can do it, it will save your sanity. I wish I could smile

dizzyjingles Tue 16-Dec-08 21:54:36

if you can afford it why the heck not - if it helps at all then def worth it imo smileenvy

etchasketch Tue 16-Dec-08 21:54:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jic Tue 16-Dec-08 21:59:33

Ok you have all made me feel much better about it, thanks! True about doing whatever you can to keep sanity smile

dizzyjingles Tue 16-Dec-08 22:01:07

also frees up time for you to spend with the wee ones or, just as important, on yourself

Desiderata Tue 16-Dec-08 22:01:46

Yes, of course you're being lazy, but since when was that an excuse for doing your own cleaning?

You're giving another hard-pressed mum a bit of extra cash. It's a nice arrangement all round.

MissisBoot Tue 16-Dec-08 22:02:36

Do it - I wish I could afford to.

You are a stay at home MUM.

QueenFeeUntoUsAChildIsBorn Tue 16-Dec-08 22:05:38

I first got a cleaner because I couldnt clean when I had SPD. I still have one now 2 and a half years after the birth of DS and therefore an improvement in SPD blush
Its the last luxury I would give up TBH

dizzyjingles Tue 16-Dec-08 22:09:10

if I could find one to do just 2hrs a week I might scrimp and save to do it - there are certain jobs I hate doing and it might encourage me to get on with them if i had some help blush

ThingOne Tue 16-Dec-08 22:19:19

Bollocks! Of course it's not lazy. It's not as if you don't have hours and hours of housework to do the rest of the time, is it?

I got my cleaner because I am ill but I'll be keeping her when I am better. In fact, the only reason I didn't have one before was because I couldn't find one.

babylovessanta Tue 16-Dec-08 22:24:37

I'm glad you have posted this as I am thinking about doing the same. No, it is not lazy - if we need help - we need it. Go for it. I have 2 DC who are 7 and 4 and am pregnant - I am tired all the time and worried that if i don't get a grip on it now - it will be a long time before I do!smile

Desiderata Tue 16-Dec-08 22:27:19

I took on cleaning jobs when ds was born because I needed financial help.

The deal was that he came with me. I now have seven cleaning contracts, and apart from the 12.5 hrs when he gets free nursery provision, he comes with me.

My own home is an absolute tip, naturally grin

dizzyjingles Tue 16-Dec-08 22:28:27

you're not near me are you Desi!?!

Desiderata Tue 16-Dec-08 22:33:11

North Somerset, Dizzy.

Can I do for you? grin

dizzyjingles Tue 16-Dec-08 22:35:12

I think the travelling may be a bit of an issue but if you're ever in north east scotland I'd be delighted to watch your DS whilst you get on with the house grin

Desiderata Tue 16-Dec-08 22:38:41

I'm on my way, mate wink

dizzyjingles Tue 16-Dec-08 22:41:08

grin tis good to have you back!!

Desiderata Tue 16-Dec-08 22:42:23

Yes it is, ain't it grin

Gemzooks Thu 18-Dec-08 12:56:00

life's too short to clean: you've enough to do looking after kids! Go for it! When I feel those (rare) moments of guilt about having a cleaner, I always remember how much I would spend down the pub in those carefree young days, which seemed such an essential expense at the time: it works out less to have the cleaner!

Ripeberry Thu 18-Dec-08 13:03:45

Go and do it. You need to clean the house like a hole in the head grin. I'm a SAHM and i would LOVE to have a cleaner, it's just i would feel obliged to clean up BEFORE the cleaner came round! Therefore defeating the purpose.
Our neighbour has a cleaner for 3 hours a day once a week. I keep fantasizing about asking her to clean for me, but she does not drive and has to be collected and taken home.
Enjoy your cleaner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now