Talk

Advanced search

HELP please: Blocked fabric softener drawer

(11 Posts)
SazzlesIsASleighBell Tue 16-Dec-08 12:31:47

My softener drawer on the washing machine keeps just filling with water after each wash and i have to syringe it out. I have tried just putting a hot wash on with no powder/clothes etc but to no avail and also running a wash through with vinegar in the softener compartment to try to unblock any residue further down the pipe.

Unfortunately our whole utility room is so rammed in that i can't open the door of the cupboard that the washing machine is in far enough to pull the whole detergent drawer out to really clean it/inspect it without taking out the tumble drier which i can't face doing

Help please smile
TIA

This happens to mine as well. I take the drawer out completely and give it a good wash in the sink. There is a little bit at the back that seems to get blocked up.

TheVirginGoober Tue 16-Dec-08 12:34:55

Hoik the drawer out of the machine and clean it. Soaking it will do nothing, you have to scrape/scrub the goo out of it. Fabric softener does leave a slimy residue.

Sorry, didn't read the whole message. smile

SazzlesIsASleighBell Tue 16-Dec-08 12:35:50

Thanks Stripey - looks like the whole utility room needs pulling out then sad

herbietea Tue 16-Dec-08 12:36:00

Message withdrawn

rolandbrowning Tue 16-Dec-08 12:36:18

Have you tried poking about in it with a wire, or pouring hot water direct into the drawer?

SazzlesIsASleighBell Tue 16-Dec-08 12:38:22

I might try an old baby's bottle brush and boiling water whilst it is still in place and then face the bigger task when DH is off work over xmas

wingandprayer Tue 16-Dec-08 12:40:01

Old toothbrush and mix of bleach and water can help shift it. I would really recommend gettng the dryer our and doing it properly though because if it bungs up permanently there will be a high call out fee and parts charge to get the filter part replaced +£80 I think ours was.

Our old Bosch machine was a nightmare for this and after the third time we gave up and got a new Hotpoint one a couple of months ago. What's helped our new one stay clean is that we only use half the quantity of fabric softener and then half water, and this seems to make mixture less gloopy and likely to clog everything up. So far, so clean (touch wood).

squatchette Tue 16-Dec-08 12:40:24

Mine sometimes does it too,can see why you don't want to pull the drier out.I have poured boiling water out of the kettle into mine (after sponging out the water already in there).I do with the machine running at the start of the cycle .It worked for me but not sure how blocked up yours is .

SazzlesIsASleighBell Tue 16-Dec-08 12:47:02

thanks squatchette - the drier is on a raised platform so 'just pulling it out' is a mammoth task. I can easily syringe the water out and have wiped the whole think clea so i guess it is blocked further back.
I will move onto a toothbrush after bottle brush as i don't have a spare

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now