Talk

Advanced search

A very scummy mummy needs your help!!!!

(13 Posts)
spookycharlotte121 Mon 15-Dec-08 12:42:17

My house is minging, how do i get on top of it. I want it nice for xmas!

Tortington Mon 15-Dec-08 12:44:54

start with rooms you dont use all the time - or else you tidy - it gets manky - you tidy it gets manky and you never get an umph from it.

so i would say start upstairs. a room a day.

whilst your tidying - do washing and drying downstairs - so downstairs remains a shit hole - then put washing away as the day goes on.

after bedrooms do bathroom then stairs. then its what you should should do daily ( i dont) to keep the living room . dining /other rooms clean.

Simplysally Mon 15-Dec-08 12:46:06

Get off Mumsnet first grin.

Get 3 bags, and go through each room. Each bag is keep/tidy away, throw away and recycling (you don't want/need it but someone else could use it). Throw away bags go in the rubbish, recycling to the clothes bank or as appropriate. Tidy away is the harder part - you may have to find places for things. If you have a timer, set it for say 15 minutes (aka Flylady) adn work on one area, then take a quick Mumsnet break. Then move into a different area, rotating around the house.

Have you got someone who could come and help keep you motivated? I know I can get terribly distracted when I spot a magazine or book I want to re-read.

spookycharlotte121 Mon 15-Dec-08 12:47:31

Oh well im all on one level in a flat. Ok I shall take your advice and im going to make a start on the kitchen. I shall leave the living room untill last.

Any other tips?

UnfortunatelyMe Mon 15-Dec-08 12:49:12

yep. for anything you find yourself wandering around with dump that in a basket too and sort it out later. Or you will spend ages wandering round aimlessly
Good luck...and get your music on.

blossomsmine Mon 15-Dec-08 13:18:48

Also, i think you need to get in the habit of doing, tidying, washing, folding, maybe even ironing on a daily basis.....sad

UnfortunatelyMe Mon 15-Dec-08 21:14:49

How did you get on?

spookycharlotte121 Tue 16-Dec-08 00:59:26

Cleaned the kitchen and then messed it up again when I cooked dinner. Im going to stay up late and get it sorted. My mum has been baby sitting this evening whilst I popped out to asda and has informed me that I have a mouse.... I feel so gross and terrible. I am such a crap mother. My house has been such a mess that as well as my kids crawling about on the floor there are now bloody mice! Ucchhhh I feel so dirty. Im going to work on a room each day and get them all cleaned out and sorted..... I feel sick at the thought that there are mice in here. God knows how they got in, I live in a first floor flat. Achhh Im so angry with myself.

jobschmob Tue 16-Dec-08 12:19:38

The mice are not your fault. They have found their way into the building at the bottom and worked their way up. It happens and it doesn't mean you've done something terrible to invite them in!

UnfortunatelyMe Tue 16-Dec-08 13:47:50

Dont worry about the mouse. How does she know?
Just obviously hoover the kitchen floors of crumbs etc. Dont feed him. He should vacate.
How are you getting on with it anyway?
If you do the kitchen tonight can you get take away..save wrecking the kitchen again.

spookycharlotte121 Tue 16-Dec-08 17:50:04

Heya. Have been out all day and the house is still a tip but its nearly tea time. Were having last night pie which is left over so there will be no mess made.
Last night I thought i would do something constructive and put my new furniture together in an effort to make myself feel better about the mouse exept it was impossibly difficult and I gave up after I got to massive blisters on my hands. <<mutters swear words under breath at flat pack furniture>>
So now I have a messy house and a load of bloody wood everywhere. I have borrowed an electric screwdriver so once the kids are fed and in bed Im gonna attack the kitchen and lounge and have a second attempt at putting my desk together.

I shall report back on the level of sucess lol.

UnfortunatelyMe Tue 16-Dec-08 18:14:30

Good Girl...at least you arent just sitting on MN hoping the mouse will do the housework...thats sorta what im doing lol

spookycharlotte121 Tue 16-Dec-08 18:37:02

lmao.... now the mouse could stay for as long as he liked if he put an apron on and did my cleaning grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now