Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

another laundry thread - to do with holiday washing

(17 Posts)
onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 20:49:03

I know that from time to time we have threads about how often people wash bras/towels etc.

I am interested to know what people do when they are on holiday/when they get back. We have been away for 5 nights (Pontins) which was fab, but as it was quite cheap and cheerful we had to take our own towels.

I was just wondering; those of you that prefer to have fresh pjs, towels etc every day, do you relax your standards when you are away? Or do you go to the launderette while you are away? If I had changed our towels daily (which I don't do at home anyway) this would have been 20+ towels for the week, plus 20 sets of pjs, plus swimming towels etc etc.

I have about 5 loads of laundry waiting,, BUT tbh for 4 of us I think that is fairly modest.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 20:57:45

<<wanders off to put 2nd load in washer>>

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:00:12

no, i don't relax my standards whilst away.

BUT, we always stay in a caravan with a laundrette on site or a self-catering cottage with a washing machine.

my top secret is LUSH's ultra-shine bar shampoo to wash swimming cossies and smalls that need hand washed whilst on holiday AND the girls' hair.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:02:01

There was no launderette on this site. shock

I may well pop into LUSH and have a look.

btw how are you expat? Not long now.

nancy75 Fri 31-Oct-08 21:02:01

we are lucky, my parents have a holiday home complete with washing machine, i always come home with all the washing done already which make coming home that bit easier!

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:05:40

ah, see, you know how i am about the laundry .

gotta have a launderette or a washing machine.

the last place also had an iron and i brought my ironing water blush.

was due today, onebat.

nary a twinge.

having a sweep on sunday if possible - trying evening primrose oil to hopefully get the cervix softened.

midwife will schedule induction for me at that appointment.

i don't want to watchful wait.

i want the full on.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:09:30

I must admit that I had a grin when I saw your post as I knew you would reply if you were around.

I have to say that when we went away last year (caravan) it was wet weather and dd1 and I spent a very pleasant evening in the warm launderette. blush

I thought it was today (your due date for your new ds I mean) but didn't want to say. It can get a bit wearing everyone asking "any news" My fil used to phone daily and made me angry Hope all goes really well for the birth.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:12:41

i bring hangers along if i know there is no dryer in the launderette and the weather is inclement so the clothes can get dry, but mostly have been able to dry outside.

and i bring my peg bag.

but the Ultra-Shine gets the clothes really clean and doesn't go all gooey.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:13:11

the ILs have already phoned.

'any sign of the baby?'

nope.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:16:18

In the end (on about day 6 and she was 11 days overdue) I said v sarcastically to fil "oh yes we had the baby and didn't bother to tell you". He wasn't amused. Honestly, what is it with some of them, do they think you will "forget" to let them know!

The best thing we took to Devon last year was a plastic airer. The weather was rubbish but at least we had dry towels.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:20:30

i didn't want to admit it, but i take an airer blush.

i also take: my knifes, my food processor, my LeCreuset casserole dish, the cafetiere and my spices on every trip.

Anna8888 Fri 31-Oct-08 21:25:33

I just take a set of clothes per day and wash it all when I get home.

We were away for five days over the weekend: that was a whole day's worth of washing on Wednesday. Grrrrrrr.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:27:03

Lol at food processor. I thought I was bad!

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:28:20

it's just easier for cooking, blending down soups, making smoothies, etc. whilst on holiday.

i hate unpacking, but having to do laundry on top of that would be even worse.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:36:00

I should be mnetting after 5 days enforced break. Instead I have to keep going off to sort out dirty laundry. Dh would do it but he is on dd2 duty and it is a bit unfair for him to do everything.

expatinscotland Fri 31-Oct-08 21:37:27

are you using the dryer?

i finally got to peg out today!

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:43:35

I am using the dryer but for one load only tonight. (towels, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it!) Load 2 is going on the airer, load 3 ready to go first thing in the washing machine.

I am hoping that load 3 and 4/5 can have a good flap on the line tomorrow. However the house was v chilly on our return (5 deg in our loft bedroom) otherwise I would have hung up more indoors). Haven't checked the forecast for tomorrow yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now