Talk

Advanced search

Condensation on windows

(10 Posts)
IAteDavinaForDinner Thu 30-Oct-08 20:36:55

It's driving me nuts and making my wooden windowframes mouldy

We're really having to be tight with the heating this year and also less tumble-drying means more drying on clothes-racks. With the result that it is freezing in the house and every morning there's pools of water on the windowsills and lots of condensation on the glass.

Is there anything we can do to prevent this being so bad, or stop the moulding at least? I mop up when I can and wipe the frames with bleach but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I think I need Kim and Aggie!

janeite Thu 30-Oct-08 20:38:19

Don't know but am bumping for you as we're having the same problem with our bedroom window.

squeakypop Thu 30-Oct-08 20:38:49

You need more ventilation - an airbrick in each room, and a little pipe from the windowledge to outside to let anything that pools drain out.

squeakypop Thu 30-Oct-08 20:38:49

You need more ventilation - an airbrick in each room, and a little pipe from the windowledge to outside to let anything that pools drain out.

SharkyandGeorge Thu 30-Oct-08 20:39:43

You need to dry up the windows every morning by wiping them over with a cloth or something, and maybe opening the window for half an hour to get some fresh air in.

I'm sure I read somewhere that putting a little bowl of rice or salt on the windowsill also helps take out some of the moisture in the air.

RottenOtter Thu 30-Oct-08 20:40:16

yes us too and its so ugly!

IAteDavinaForDinner Thu 30-Oct-08 20:43:22

Most mornings I open the windows wide and leave them through the day with the bedroom door closed. It warms up again in the evening when we release the living room heat up the stairs

I like the rice or salt ideas. Might try that tonight.

Hadassah Thu 30-Oct-08 20:45:19

Wipe, wipe, wipe.

Fizzylemonade Fri 31-Oct-08 08:20:36

Apparently this is good

www.lakeland.co.uk/the--water-eater/F/keyword/condensation/product/9011

from lakeland but at £10 per item a little pricey but should solve your problem.

hollywand Fri 31-Oct-08 10:33:02

I have had similar problems for years now although it seems to be worse with all the rain we now have. I use milton sterilising fluid neat on a cloth and then cotton bud in the corners. It really does work after a few goes. Does not stop the condensation but gets rid of mould.Might try the salt though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now