Talk

Advanced search

How do you dry your washing?

(46 Posts)
sammysam Thu 30-Oct-08 09:25:52

Stupid question I know but we are having real trubble getting our wahing dry at the moment! Tumble dryer has packed up-plus there is a lot that can't be dryer in there any way......so how, where and on what do you dry yours?
We need to buy something else to use as we just have a very basic over the bath airer that you can hardly fit anything on! Does anyone have helpfull ideas or recomendations? Fed up with washing ALL over the house grin

lilysmummy2007 Thu 30-Oct-08 09:31:32

get a minky dryer, ive a long balcony that gets direct sunlight so great in the summer as we hung a washing line, but we got a minky 3 tier dryer from ebay this one it holds 1 whole large load and as you are probably running the heat anyways will dry faster. picks up just one block of space and folds super compactly

sammysam Thu 30-Oct-08 10:39:46

Thanks lilysmummy-where do you put it?
The link isn't working when i try but i'll try and google...

babyjjbaby Thu 30-Oct-08 13:07:35

i am finding it a pain to dry the washing i just have 2 airers which are usally consatnlty up but i am still hanging on the line to part dry then putting it on airer at night i want a plastic thing which goes over the washign line so u can dry the washoign on the line in the rain can't remember what it is called tho

johnbarrowmanlovesme Thu 30-Oct-08 15:19:11

Drying washing in the rain ? I like the sound of that, does anyone know what they are called?

expatinscotland Thu 30-Oct-08 15:19:47

a hotpoint tumble dryer sad.

Cheesesarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 15:20:33

in the dryer as we have no choice.no heating and damp mouldy house.

SqueakyPop Thu 30-Oct-08 15:20:59

Tumble drier

expatinscotland Thu 30-Oct-08 15:23:34

it's either run the heat more to dry it on racks or pay the electric bill. weather's been absolutely shite here until today but now i am 39+6 days pregnant i can't make it up the steep hill to the washing line anymore.

so we borrowed one of those things that shows how much power you're using to run the dryer and it works out cheaper to use the dryer than put the heat on (LPG, costs a bomb, period house with damp, stone walls nearly a meter thick, crap secondary glazing, and on the shore of a Scottish sea loch).

my mother sent me some dryer balls and they do seem to help a bit.

lilysmummy2007 Thu 30-Oct-08 15:24:26

oops its this one here
what i do is do my wash in the evening and put it up in the kitchen overnight and if it not dry by morning just move it to a room you arent using much during the day or conservatory.

Cheesesarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 15:24:45

blimey expat-i didnt realise you were so close to popping!any twinges?

might try dryer balls.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Oct-08 15:25:33

lost the plug last night, but not a twinge since then.

going for sweep on Sunday at 40+2.

Cheesesarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 15:27:04

oooh exciting.grin

babyjjbaby Thu 30-Oct-08 15:27:31

washign line cover thing

Bienchen Thu 30-Oct-08 15:31:53

We discovered a launderette in our road. I now do two lots of washing and then take nearly everything to the dryer. It takes the contents of nearly two w/machine loads and get most things dry for £1. I then chuck in the rest and use another 40 or 60p tops, best thing is this dries everything from socks, sheets, towels, nappies, together. No fluff.

I have a dryer at home but with current prices it would cost a lot more, plus being a condenser dryer it also uses a lot of water.

The launderette is also incredibly fast, whole lot done in under 30 minutes. I fold everything, so also hardly any ironing to do apart from smart shirts which dry on a hanger in the bathroom.

sammysam Fri 31-Oct-08 09:03:56

Wow thank you everyone for your answers!
And good luck expat-i'm so excited for you!

The washing line cover looks good but still nothing seems to dry at this temp-plus surely the rain needs to be falling straight down not at any angle? I suppose we could try and make a huge one to solve that one grin

A friend was complaining the other day about her airer as you can't put much on it as everything on the different levels tuch and don't get dry.... does the one you have lilysmummy do the same thing? I'm sure theres no amazing answer to my problem sad but worth trying a few things!

Dp will try and fix the dryer but it is a condenser and we keep having trouble with it-apparently they are rubbish and you are much better off with a vented one hmm

Bienchen-when you said that your dryer uses lots of water-did you mean electricity? Are vented ones cheaper to run as well as not breaking down angry-wish we knew that a couple of years ago grin
Re launderette-do you have to sit in there whilst it is drying? No idea where the nearest one is blush

Can't believe i'm thinking about this so much!! Tis really getting to us though-has been the cause of a few arguments recently sad Doesn't help we have a serious condensation problem in our house in the winter....

babyjjbaby Fri 31-Oct-08 10:24:24

the covers for washign line have a special mesh on the sides so water cannot get in to it it also says that it will dry aslong as it is above freezing hmm but saying that tho i am still getting the washing half dry on the line atm

Pinions Fri 31-Oct-08 10:29:18

Install a (sturdy) shower rail and hang on that. Wonderful and dry smile.

TartanKnickers Fri 31-Oct-08 10:34:38

I've got this airer. It holds about 2 normal sized loads and doesn't take up a lot of floor space. About 40m drying space in all.

Bienchen Fri 31-Oct-08 13:12:12

Sammy, we have a washer dryer and these are normally the condensing type (not vented). They gobble electricity but also fresh water is used to condense the steam from drying. Sorry if this is a bit of a rough explanation.

And yes I sit at the launderette but we are done in 20 minutes or so, maybe a tad longer if there is lots of socks to bundle up, towels to fold but I play with DD or we read a book and I came home with laundry that is virtually ready to go in cupboard (smug emoticon needed).

The vented ones don't need extra water but still eat a lot of electricity. They also hold a bit more capacity I think.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Fri 31-Oct-08 13:16:54

We don't have a tumble dryer, we have two airers and hang big things like duvet covers over the banisters.

We have quite a lot of condensation but open all the windows first thing in the morning for an hour or two to air the house out, and then shut them again before we all freeze to death. Seems to work fine.

PuppyMonkey Fri 31-Oct-08 13:20:28

Mix of tumble dryer and radiators at the mo. Conservatory or washing line in the summer...

mppaw Fri 31-Oct-08 13:24:06

Everything goes on the radiators.

noonki Fri 31-Oct-08 13:28:51

Normally radiators and airers, we were given a tumble drier and have used it a few times in an emergency but hate to use it.

BUT our boiler is broken so it's an emergency!

themoon666 Fri 31-Oct-08 13:29:45

Draped over clothes horses in the garage first thing in the morning (washer goes on cheap leccy overnight).

Before I go to bed, I bring it all in and put in the dryer which goes on overnight just to finish it off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now