Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If a kitchen has space for a tumbler drier and washing machine, - next to each other.....

(14 Posts)
FAQ Tue 28-Oct-08 16:27:29

is it possible (without doing major work) to swap the tumble drier for dishwasher??

we put a (small) dishwasher in where a (small) cupboard had been. but our kitchen was a crap DIY job that the previous owners had put in.

MerlinsBeard Tue 28-Oct-08 16:31:38

you may need more pipes to direct the water

harpomarx Tue 28-Oct-08 16:31:39

speaking from a position of absolutely no expertise I would have thought yes - presumably the plumbing and electrics are already mostly in place so would have thought it would be fairly easy to swap.

3littlefrogs Tue 28-Oct-08 16:32:33

Don't see why not. All that matters really is the accessibility of the plumbing, and the vent for the dryer. As long as all the connections reach IYSWIM.

CaptainKarvol Tue 28-Oct-08 16:34:14

You'll need water in and drainage for the dishwasher - how much work that is depends on how your kitchen is sorted at the minute.

We had a real bodge job done by kitchen fitters which meant the washing machine drainage water ended up in the dishwasher as they'd routed both into the sink U bend and there was a big backwash into the dishwasher... Cost quite a lot to get a plumber in to sort it all out.

Kewcumber Tue 28-Oct-08 16:37:12

yes there is usually just about enough travel in the cables and pipes but you can't be certian without knowing where your plumbing/venting is

Kewcumber Tue 28-Oct-08 16:37:49

I'm confused - dishwasher or washing machine?

FAQ Tue 28-Oct-08 16:39:01

hmm - it's just I've just been to view a house with a view to renting it, there's currently a washing machine and tumble drier, (and a fridge freezer - but that's by the by) - the estate agent said if I had my own then the landlord would be happy to take the ones out that would normally be "included"......

I don't use a tumble drier, and don't want to use one.......but I do have a dishwasher......and don't really want to lose it - but the house is lovely, and they'll consider HB, and it's local............

Kewcumber Tue 28-Oct-08 16:39:40

tumble drier may not need venting just a power socket if its a condensor

FAQ Tue 28-Oct-08 16:41:09

haven't got a clue - didn't look that closely as I have no interest in using it - have survived perfectly well for 4yrs without one - and don't want to start running my electric bills up with my mountains of drying lol

Kewcumber Tue 28-Oct-08 16:41:23

dishwasher will need a plumber to add a water feed for a dishwasher - they are normally a different type to a washing machine and obviously a tumble drier doesn't have a water feed!

Would guess would cost £50-£100 for plumber to do.

LIZS Tue 28-Oct-08 16:46:14

it depends if the cold water inlet for the wm is reasonably accessible you can fix a y fitting (from diy store) onto it and use one side for the wm and other for dw inlet. You may need a second outlet pipe though, unless you can put a junction under hte sink or ther may be oen if the tumble drier is a condensor plumbed in to drain the moisture.

SqueakyPop Tue 28-Oct-08 16:49:09

The dishwasher has water pipes and drain, the tumble drier just has a vent. It will be quite hard to move them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now