Talk

Advanced search

Wet bed. how to get the smell out?

(34 Posts)
SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 08:09:50

first time, my bed, won't go into details.

I have disinfectant, bleach and a little softner.

also 1001 and vanish.

for armed with a scrubbing sponge, what mi should I use - don't want to be doing this again really if I can help it.

currently trying disinfectant & a little softener.

should I do anything else? oh there was a matress protector down but it still reeks.

Blackduck Fri 24-Oct-08 08:12:08

bicarb of soda (with some essential oil mixed in if youu want a scent) liberally spread over area and leave - the bicarb should neutralise the smell...

Blackduck Fri 24-Oct-08 08:12:45

...then hoover off - don't leave forever!

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Fri 24-Oct-08 08:13:05

Yup - bicarb, apparently. Then hoover off once dry (or is tha carpets?hmm)

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Fri 24-Oct-08 08:13:41

Cross post, blackduckgrin. Would be a rather crunchy sleeping experience otherwisegrin.

MadamDeathstare Fri 24-Oct-08 08:14:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 08:20:07

this is from an adult. (not me mind)

I have bi carp - it's the top matress on my bed so I can lift it out and air it all day if need be.

have done it once with the disinfectant/softner it's quite a strong mix but still smells.
I don't have any essential oils. think i'll need to run out.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 08:22:00

sorry meant to add thanks.

(will softner work instead of the oils - once dry & bi carb'ed?)

Fizzylemonade Fri 24-Oct-08 09:59:23

My son spilt a whole glass of orange juice on his bed, was awful as sticky but we have bissell carpet washer thing so we used the upholstery attachment.

Because of this we bought waterproof fitted sheets for all our beds. You can get them everywhere. Hindsight is always 20/20 grin Of course I am surprised it wasn't me that spilt it, I have been known to spill coffee on the duvet hmm

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 11:30:34

how long does the bed take to dry out?

MadamDeathstare Fri 24-Oct-08 13:58:31

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 16:15:56

well it's dry now but still humms a bit - can I get this peroxide thing from asda??

am thinking a bleach tonight bicarb & oils tomorrow.

I wouldn't be so bothered but it's my new mattress (well newer than the old one!) old one I would have binned.

suzywong Fri 24-Oct-08 16:17:25

has anyone said vinegar yet?
a splash of water and a splash of white vinegar and rub it in and then leave it by the window to dry

Ivvvvyygootscaaared444 Fri 24-Oct-08 16:19:54

stick an onion cut in half under the bed incase it is the carpets - the onion will absorb the smell.

ladylush Fri 24-Oct-08 16:19:59

Hee hee - did your dp get drunk? wink

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 16:45:39

LL - not quite no - he was v v stressed, so let go as it were.

never thought of white vinegar. it's not on the carpet that much I do know didn't go right thru.

MadamDeathstare Fri 24-Oct-08 18:04:59

MadamDeathstare Fri 24-Oct-08 18:05:41

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 24-Oct-08 19:46:09

oh dear doubt i'll be able to get it then - will try the hard wear store?

currently have used a concoction of washing powder bleach water & softner. with neat washing powder rubbed in to see if that helps - will bi carb again tomorrow,

can leave it out all night in the back room with the windows open - it's making the rest of my house smell thou. - am not impressed but can't let on to DP as he's mortified.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sat 25-Oct-08 13:10:05

ok it's still smelling.
FFS this has now really really pissed me off.

how else can I get the stench out?

I have yet more bi carb disinfectant & essential lavender oil today.

ladylush Sat 25-Oct-08 13:39:25

Oh dear, your poor dp - and you!

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sat 25-Oct-08 13:57:54

wouldn't be half as bad if the whole house didn't smell of it as well. (it's only small) and i'm v v funny about a smelly house - I have 2 dogs who I make sure don't make the house smell 'doggie'

guess thou DS will be getting potty trained soon so it will get worse right??

ladylush Sat 25-Oct-08 14:12:45

Hire an upholstery cleaner?

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sat 25-Oct-08 14:31:35

think I might well have to - lets hope this latest mix (bicarb & oils) have worked.

will vac off in an hour - will have been on for approx 4 hours by then. that should be enough right?

ladylush Sat 25-Oct-08 16:59:08

I'd have thought so. Do you know anyone with a carpet cleaner? Most of them have an upholstery attachment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now