Talk

Advanced search

how do you prep newly plastered walls before painting?

(11 Posts)
mamaspanx Wed 22-Oct-08 09:23:53

we have bought expensive (for us) chalk paint that has hardly any VOC but cant afford to do more than two coats of this paint..its called craig and rose....usually a base coat would be a cheap paint so that the plaster soaks that up. can i use a watered down pva mix? what have other people done in their experience please.

ilovemydog Wed 22-Oct-08 09:26:28

I usually do half water half paint (white). And find that Dulux white is the best.

alkar Wed 22-Oct-08 09:26:50

We watered down paint but a painter friend said either that or watered down PVA

Walkthedinosaur Wed 22-Oct-08 09:29:13

I've just bought a cheap emulsion and done that in the past, going to paint a newly plastered wall at the weekend and have got the cheap stuff in already.

mamaspanx Wed 22-Oct-08 09:31:36

thanks for those quick replies.

normally we would be using dulux but we cant decamp the litttle ones anywhere while we paint (in the evenings) and i'm pregnant so we dont want any fumes in the house (we are being ultra careful)

so it defeats the purpose of buying the expensive low voc one to put dulux underneath. the website doesn't say what to do but now that alkar has confirmed the watered down pva we will probably go for that!

throckenholt Wed 22-Oct-08 09:32:05

when you say newly plastered - when was it done ?

I always thought you had to let plaster dry out for quite a while before painting it ?

throckenholt Wed 22-Oct-08 09:33:20

here

mamaspanx Wed 22-Oct-08 09:33:26

that probably sounds a bit precious but i had a really bad miscarriage after our last bout of painting and i want to be really careful

mamaspanx Wed 22-Oct-08 09:34:46

the plastering was done last w/end and monday so its all lovely and pale pink and ready to go

mamaspanx Wed 22-Oct-08 09:35:30

no last last weekend (about 9 days ago)

throckenholt Wed 22-Oct-08 09:36:28

googling suggest dulux supermatt is the way to go - and then paint properly later on (ie months later).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now