Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can i burn parquet blocks with bitumen in my old french stove??

(6 Posts)
mummypingu Tue 21-Oct-08 10:26:36

this probably sounds really random....

we are about to remove our old parquet flooring and its so sha**ed no one wants it so we are considering using it as fuel for our multi stove. it has bitumen on one side and i'm wondering a)will that give of toxic fumes and b)will it go cabloee and blowup the house?...am i likely to be left with sticky mess too or will it burn away and be a great money saver? tia

zippitippitoes Tue 21-Oct-08 10:27:43

are you kidding absolutely not

mummypingu Tue 21-Oct-08 10:32:45

please help me...and tell me why not, or is it really obvious and i'm being naive...it will have to go to land fill otherwise and i had thought it could get us through the winter without central heating

zippitippitoes Tue 21-Oct-08 10:37:14

for the reasons you cited fumes and vapours and residue, apart from they will go up really quick

witchandchips Tue 21-Oct-08 10:38:44

i'd call up a reclamation yard + see if they want it; you'd be surprised. Parquet blocks are so thick that most imperfections can be sanded away.

GentleGarotter Tue 21-Oct-08 10:47:23

The bitumen will burn with a fierce intensity, coat your chimney with a black sticky stuff and perhaps set your chimney on fire.The smoke will be black and obnoxious.
It will burn so quickly that you will not get much long lasting heat from it.
I'm with witchandchips here with her suggestion to phone up a reclaimers yard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now