Talk

Advanced search

Roomba question

(21 Posts)
RedLollyYellowLolly Mon 20-Oct-08 23:16:56

I'm increasingly interested in getting a Roomba. Gradually getting on top of a "project" of a house and the plan is to have wooden floors downstairs which I know need a lot of sweeping - and obviously the idea of all that hoovering being done by somebody who isn't me tends to appeal! smile

Have read threads on here and have gleaned:

I will become very attached to "him"

My cat will probably be a bit hmm (he's only just forgiven me for introducing the toddler to his previously quiet existence)

Aforementioned toddler will try to ride him.

The part I'm struggling with is how to manage across two floors. Do you programme for different days and remember to carry it upstairs before you go out (assuming I set it for when I'm at work)? Doesn't it panic if it runs out of juice and can't find its way home to feed?

Any Roomba advice or feedback most welcome. Thank you!

RedLollyYellowLolly Mon 20-Oct-08 23:19:05

Ooh, just posted this then spotted a whole bunch more Roomba posts since I looked last week. Off to read and hope nobody has answered this very question blush

jura Mon 20-Oct-08 23:22:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Mon 20-Oct-08 23:27:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedLollyYellowLolly Mon 20-Oct-08 23:29:10

Thanks jura.

I guess I may also stick mainly with downstairs as our upstairs floors are generally covered in crap require less maintenance.

shock at the cannibalism!

I don't think these things should be marketed at mums. We are far too inclined to worry....

Suedonim Mon 20-Oct-08 23:30:58

But beware, mine attacked me today and tried to vacuum up my foot! shock And as I hopped out of the way, she (it's a girl, Felicity) went for the other foot - I had to fend her off with a bargepole! grin

NotAnOtter Mon 20-Oct-08 23:31:46

you will get used to toddlers sgrieking 'robot robot' be gutted when he dozes off half on half off a bar stool...etc

i bought non programming type

he sleeps downstairs but is dumped on top floor most days - the underbed cleaning is a joy

he luuurves playmobil but much less likely to bin consumed bits than with conventional vacuum

stealthsquiggle Mon 20-Oct-08 23:43:08

Ours loves eating toes - and chasing a giggling DD around the kitchen grin.

In answer to OP - our Roomba has a (semi-regular) rota and he takes his bed with him and does one 'floor' (we have lots of stairs) a day.

RedLollyYellowLolly Tue 21-Oct-08 20:13:47

Thanks for the replies. If he has a portable bed then that sounds like a practical option - and gives him a nice change of scene.

I'm now worrying how you tell the sex of your Roomba. Is there a definitive test or do you just know...

stealthsquiggle Tue 21-Oct-08 22:33:16

Roomba's bed is v. portable - the power supply is a bit of a pain, though. DD would obsess worry if our Roomba didn't take his bed with him - should he ever stop not on his bed then she tries to boss him back to bed ("Roomba, that's your bed. Roomba back bed. Roomba bed now")

How to sex a Roomba - not sure - I think you just know.....

RedLollyYellowLolly Tue 21-Oct-08 23:00:04

So bed and power supply are different things? I suppose I don't (often) eat in bed.

TBH I think I'm so excited now that I think I'd buy one even if 100+ posters told me they actually don't clean at all. grin

stealthsquiggle Tue 21-Oct-08 23:24:43

Bed is also actually a charging base but it has a separate 'power brick' between it and the plug (think laptop power supply)

<<whispers - DH says we can get Roomba a Scooba to keep him company as soon as they are officially launched in the UK>>

Aitch Tue 21-Oct-08 23:26:44

and whatf you havewooden floorrs and rugs/?

stealthsquiggle Tue 21-Oct-08 23:37:52

Roombas love wooden floors (and tiled floors) and rugs, Aitch - or are you asking about Scooba?

NotAnOtter Wed 22-Oct-08 00:01:25

phillip loves hard floors
he gets all nasty grit in his filter
today he ate all ds's cannon balls from playmobil

Aitch Wed 22-Oct-08 12:00:15

but how does he climb up from a wooden floor to a rug? or is that small potatoes for such a talented 'bot? grin

chequersandchess Wed 22-Oct-08 12:04:57

I want one now! How much are they?

chloemegjess Wed 22-Oct-08 13:23:44

I don't have the Roomba but bought a cheap version for £40 last week and love it.

Mine doesn't do rugs though, my rugs are on their way to the loft as he has priority as he is making my life so much easier.

My living room has never stayed spotless for so long.

Mine doesn' program, but I just put him on when I go out, put him on charge when I get in and then let him have another go somewhere else later on before bed.

Mine doesn't have a docking bay either but just a little plug in wire, but I find this better as I can put him on a shelf on charge, rather than having him on the floor near cats and children.

I have 3 cats and they don't care about him at all. They will move if he comes towards him but they are used to my DD so the hoover is nothing.

DD is facinated by him at a distance but at the mo, still scared of him if he comes towards her.

I love him and we are talking about getting a second for upstairs. The £40 one again though.

chequersandchess Wed 22-Oct-08 13:25:08

Chloe, where did you get the £40 one? What's it called?

dilbertina Wed 22-Oct-08 13:32:26

another question....Do you have to constantly empty your roomba (or the cheaper alternative!) we have hairy dog - or rather not so hairy dog but hairy carpet, can they cope with this?

chloemegjess Wed 22-Oct-08 14:03:37

I got my £40 one from a website called ebuyer. Came the next day! I think he is called Auto Vac? Let me know if you can't find it and I will check on the box.

Yes I do empty it every time I use it, but it is VERY easy to do and you can't really expect it to hold much as it is so small. I do have 3 cats and a baby and I childmind though, so I might have more dirt than some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now