Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with used oil?

(11 Posts)
ChukkyPig Wed 15-Oct-08 20:01:26

Cooking oil, fat from roasts, oil from tins of sardines etc etc.

At the moment I pour it into an old soft drinks bottle and chuck it in the bin.

But this involves me sort of saving it up which is a bit grim!

What do you do with it - and does anyone know what you're actually supposed to do with it??

sweetgrapes Wed 15-Oct-08 20:10:05

I put it in old zip locks, freezer bags, plastic bags (aything that won't leak immediately) and chuck in the bin.

Not sure if the bags are ideal but at least it doesn't go down the sink.

oggsfrog Wed 15-Oct-08 20:13:43

I either tip it in the compost bucket or soak it up with paper towels and burn it.

ChukkyPig Wed 15-Oct-08 21:18:27

Burn it! Cripes! Sounds more exciting than what I do...

Think I'll carry on as usual then I just thought that maybe there was some secret thing everybody did that I was missing...

morocco Wed 15-Oct-08 21:19:21

I cook with it again - is that really bleugh?

HeinzEVILSight Wed 15-Oct-08 21:20:19

THink about how I might turn it into fuel for my car

morocco Wed 15-Oct-08 21:20:42

and fat from roast chicken I sometimes turn into bird feeder things but am a bit unsure about whether that is going to cause some wierd new bird flu virus (birds eating birds kind of thing)

ChukkyPig Wed 15-Oct-08 21:22:30

Hmmm Heinz good plan but the oil from my sardines might be a bit, um, flavorsome for further use!

morocco I keep fat from roasts intending to use it, it sits in the fridge for a few weeks and then gets chucked!

ChukkyPig Wed 15-Oct-08 21:23:12

Crikey I've gone yankee! Flavorsome oils indeed!

madlentileater Wed 15-Oct-08 21:28:08

if it's just ordinary veg oil, you can put it in your car, really- my friend does it-I filtered it for her, and she put it in, was fine (diesel engine) I was dead impressed- she had done some research and discovered whatproportion of veg oil to diesel was ok.

ChukkyPig Thu 16-Oct-08 11:08:14

DH's car is diesel........ It may ming of sardines in the near future!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now