Talk

Advanced search

Please help me to get going today!

(16 Posts)
chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 10:53:34

Hello. Feel like crap but have all day every day sickness so can't just do nothing or the house will end up in a right state. I need to get some stuff done but all I feel like doing is sleeping.

I have my 9 month old here all day but she should have 1-2 naps in the day so need to use at least that time to get stuff done, and some while she is awake as if I am honest, she is very good so can't really use her as an excuse! Also have to do the school run at 3.30 and childmind 3.30-5.30.

Anyway, I need to do loads of washing, put clothes away, put book orders away, sort living room, make some dinner,Hoover downstairs and have a quick tidy upstairs.

Please give me a kick up the bum to get off the PC and get going! Need to get going before I fall asleep! DH working till 11pm too sad

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 11:18:30

Anybody? I am still sat here! DD getting tired for a nap

GrabShellDude Mon 13-Oct-08 11:22:17

Shut down the computer and move!

There, hope that helped. Just replied to you on the Rooma thread btw. smile

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 11:25:23

Really sorry to hear about your sickness - I had it both times and it makes you knackered.

Could you grab a pen and write a list of 5 minute jobs? You could get 6 jobs done in half an hour (obviously small, manageable tasks). e.g. quick hoover of living room; stick first load of washing on, put clothes away. Tick them off as you go along so you feel you have actually made progress.

I sometimes set the kitchen timer to really focus me.

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 11:29:18

I love the timer idea but I usually use my phone which got stolen at the weekend sad.

I wish I had less stuff, I keep trying to de-clutter, but I actually use it all! I had looked forward to getting rid of DDs stuff as she grew out of it all, but then got pregnant when she was only 6months! So got to keep it all! Even with just the washing hanging inside it looks a mess. I might cheat and use the tumble dryer to get on top of it all

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 11:32:20

I would say do what you can to get straight, even if it means the dryer. Don't be hard on yourself, the sickness is very wearing and even the most "well behaved" baby is still hard work.

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 11:38:06

Right going to put DD up for her nap, I hope she sleeps for at least an hour. I will then put the first load of washing in the dryier and put the second load on. And then report back.

Is it ok if I keep coming back to say what I have done/going to do etc? Just think it will keep me going to have somebody to tell.

DD just pooed too so will change her (again) before I put her down.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 11:46:02

Ding Ding (virtual timer going off so that cmj moves on to the next job) wink

This diverting me nicely from my own housework!

sagacious Mon 13-Oct-08 11:49:34

Yes !
Write down what you've achieved
Its a very good motivator
(I bore the fly threads witless with my loading and unloading dishwasher lists smile

Concentrate on getting one small job done at a time.

HTH

[ignoring ironing pile]

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 11:51:28

<<puts one mug in dishwasher and returns to thread to "help" op>>

Ding Ding

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 11:59:14

lol, thank you guys!

DD changed and in bed (wasn't very happy about it but seems to have gone to sleep now).

1 load in dryer
Next load in washer.

Using my new tumble drying balls that I got from 99p store yesterday - they are very loud!

Also need to add to my list - clean loo (sick), bathroom floor (from the remains of what ever poor animal my cats ate for breakfast hmm, tidy up the loo roll that my cats shredded all over the floor, and take rubbish out.

I am now going to fold washing from the line from the weekend (wont take upstairs till DD wakes up) and then sort all the dirty washing into piles so I can just shove it straight in when one wash finishes, as I would like to get it all done today, even if it means if doesn't get put away till tonight/tomorrow.

Be back in a bit!

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 12:19:40

Right, clean washing folded into a box ready to take upstairs when DD wakes up. I am hoping she will play upstairs while I put it away but depends on her mood. Will have loads more to put away later anyway. I also tidies the bathroom sides while I was in there so that is a bonus!

NEED to get me and DH in the habit of taking something out with us when we go to the kitchen/upstairs etc. Thinking about putting notes on the doors but would be embarassed if people saw them! blush But we are just awful for not noticing mess till it is too late!

Going to clean the bathroom now as if I am doing the loo and the floor I might as well do it all. Then I will feel like I have achieved something!

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 12:43:59

I think I have bored everybody on this thread already!

Have just sprayed loo, sink etc and have swept and mopped bathroom floor. Will give everything a wipe when floor is dry.

DD been asleep for nearly an hour so I am worried I won't have much longer of nap time to get things done. Trying to prioritize things.

Will go and put out rubbish and recycling now. And then get started on kitchen til the washing has finished. Not really sticking to my list (as usual) but at least I am getting stuff done!

Can't believe how behind I was with the washing. DH couldn't even find clean black socks this morning for work! They are all in the washer now though so will be done before he gets home.

Any tips for getting in good daily habits? I did try fly lady a couple of times and still get all the emails but didn't really find it worked for me.

sagacious Mon 13-Oct-08 13:25:16

You sound like you're doing well !

I'm on the fly thread, but don't really properly follow the actual fly site IYKWIM.
The emails drove me mad!

The 15 min timer is what works for me.
Plus putting things back in there proper place rather than just moving them aside.

I still find the laundry a constant pain though (I know people say don't iron but I come from a childhood background of ironing pants.. its a hard habit to break grin)

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 13:43:23

I didn't really iron till recently and for some reason everything seems creased lately. But thats probably from my habit of leaving it in the dryer for ages before it goes away! blush
I recently got a big black bag of it done for me locally to catch up with it all. Cost me £12 for a big black bag full. It was well worth it and the lady came and collected it too.

Just folded wash number 1 up from the dryer to go up and number 2 is nearly finished washing. Have cleaned about 1/3 of the kitchen but it is very cluttered (as it is tiny and I don't have anywhere near enough storage space) so it is hard to do it all at once so will go back and do another part in a bit.

Have emptied all bins and it is all by the door ready to go out. Can't decide if to walk the school run, meaning leaving at 2.30ish or drive meaning 3.10ish Could get more done if I drive but then it would be good for DD to get some air and passes some time that I am minding as I don't have much planned for today.

Getting hungry for lunch but don't want to stop in case I don't get going again!

Off to go and give the loo and sink a wipe as the floor should be dry and will put wash 2 in dryer and put wash 3 in the washer! I wish DH was home this evening to help put it all away! Will continue with kitchen if time but I have had 2 hours of DD nap time so I am sure she will wake in the next 10 mins or so.

chloemegjess Mon 13-Oct-08 14:15:18

Think I have over done it a bit as my back and neck are killing me now! DD is awake so just sitting down for 5mins with a cuppa soup while she has her milk and watches Fifi!

Going to walk the school run so need to leave once I have DD ready so that is it for housework for at least a couple of hours til Mindee goes home. Might do some this evening and will certainly carry on doing the washing as have it all in piles now so need it clear!

Thanks for listening! Hopefully I will be back tomorrow afternoon (at hospital all morning tomorrow so will need to get cracking when I get back).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now