Talk

Advanced search

Musty smell on clean clothes that have just come out of the washing machine

(8 Posts)
lucysmam Sat 11-Oct-08 18:25:11

Anyone any suggestions what I can do to get rid of the smell inside the washer before re-washing the clothes?

It's left a funny grey 'deposit' of some kind or other on some of the clothes as well & I don't know what it is or how to get rid! Do you think a hot wash might remove it? (maybe impossible t answer since you can't see it I know!)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions smile

Mercy Sat 11-Oct-08 18:26:44

I have this occasionally, fortunately I have a rinse function on my machine.

Do you live in a hard water area?

DraculaNeedsArteries Sat 11-Oct-08 18:29:50

Give the rubber thing around the door hoel a jolly good clean...get rid of any residue.

Give your dispenser drawer a jolly good clean to remove any mould.

Put it on a boil wash empty (I think there is a recommendation to put white vinegar in with this)

Do you use a liquid detergent/gel tabs? If so stop and go back to powder.

HTH.

wingandprayer Sat 11-Oct-08 18:35:01

as all the above say- good wipe round and boil wash but pour a couple of extra litres of water in through the powder drawer once it gets started. Will help flush anything out. Then put it on empty normal wash straight after. Make sure you leave door open between washes so machine dries out properly.

lucysmam Sat 11-Oct-08 18:36:15

Dracula, funnily enought I bought some Persil gel tabs yesterday to try out. I Wonder if that is all it is!!! Cleaned the door seal & drawer so they are shiny. Will pop on a boil wash with vinegar now.

Mercy, not particularly which is why it had me baffled but I think Dracula may have solved the mystery for me with the gel tabs

Thanks both smile

DraculaNeedsArteries Sat 11-Oct-08 18:37:09

liquitabs can leave a grey scum around the insides which can get back onto clothes....

lucysmam Sat 11-Oct-08 18:37:35

wingandprayer, the door always gets left open between washes. Will pop kettle on to boil as I go through kitchen & pour through drawer.

lucysmam Sat 11-Oct-08 18:38:47

Well I didn't know that! I will get rid and get some more powder in the morning! Only bought them to try out as they were on offer as well. Thanks Dracula, appreciate the info

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: