Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This is a long shot. Does anyone run an old fashioned portable Calor gas heater. How much does it cost to run please?

(13 Posts)
Twinklemegan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:03:56

Our neighbour has given us one to see us through winter. It appears to be in full working order but we have a CO detector in any case. If anyone has one of these, could you give me an idea of how long a gas bottle lasts please? Thanks.

SaintGeorge Thu 09-Oct-08 23:07:46

We used to have one in our flat. Big room (about 30' x 20') with one heater, probably ran it for about 4 hours per day. A bottle would last us about 8-10 weeks.

IotasCat Thu 09-Oct-08 23:09:30

some opinions here

IotasCat Thu 09-Oct-08 23:10:29

and our BBQ lasts for the whole summer smile and we BBQ alot

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 09-Oct-08 23:10:58

That depends on how much you use it. I had one years ago and was astounded by how fast it emptied - about a week - until I realised that my flatmate had it on, three bars, all day, while I was out at work... shock With more cautious use, I've made the bottle last a month.

Simplest advice is to buy a spare (full) bottle for when it runs out.

Twinklemegan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:21:50

Wow, thanks. Does anyone know how much a 13kg bottle of butane would cost? I will find out tomorrow when I go for a refill, but it would be good to know what to expect. Also, is it true that butane is rubbish in cold weather hmm. Can you use butane and propane interchangably or are the heaters designed for one or the other?

GentleGarotter Thu 09-Oct-08 23:27:50

I think we paid £16 for our last bottle of butane for the old Superserve in the bathroom. It is on for the children's baths in the morning and evening but switched off after they are washed.
This bottle has lasted us since May and there is still plenty in it.

Twinklemegan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:31:53

That's not too bad then. A hell of a lot cheaper than a couple of useless storage heaters that's for sure.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 09-Oct-08 23:32:52

13kg cylinder here costs £27, plus £10 deposit on the cylinder (if you don't have a spare empty one).

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 09-Oct-08 23:34:23

Ah, I don't think it would be wise to interchange, though they have different connectors anyway.

Mine was butane and fine in cold weather.

Twinklemegan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:34:51

That's still not too bad I reckon. They must throw out a fair amount of heat don't they?

Twinklemegan Thu 09-Oct-08 23:36:10

Righto. I just saw on some caravanning site that you can struggle to get it flowing below 10 degrees! I'm not sure if they meant minus 10, which it does get to sometimes here but not often (and hopefully not indoors!)

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 09-Oct-08 23:51:59

Ooh, it was lovely and warm - I almost regret having given mine away now lol! I don't think my flat ever got that cold (certainly not into the minus!) but on a hunt I see that butane does perform badly at low temperatures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now