loader

Talk

Advanced search

Laundry experts/snobs come and answer a couple of question

(10 Posts)
onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Oct-08 21:16:15

btw don't bother reading any further if you are not interested in laundry. grin

Just wondering really:

Do any of you handwash tights and other items that say on the label to handwash only? We had a thread a while ago about handwashing bras and not many people did. (I do)

Also do you follow the washing instructions exactly? I notice that on many items they specify to wash at 40, but on the delicate or wool cycle. (1 line under the number 40 for delicates, and 2 lines under the number for wool cycle iykwim). I do tend to wash a lot of stuff on delicates tbh as it cuts down on ironing (slower spin speed) However it does take longer to dry and also you can only wash about 3kg (if you read the manual) compared to 5kg or more on a "normal" cotton cycle.

Also I am getting more and more irritated about the wash at 30 campaign. Next have put on their labels "if its not dirty wash at thirty" - surely if it's not dirty then perhaps it doesn't actually need washing? hmm

Finally a bit thankyou to mners who have recommended using washing soda crystals to the dispenser and using far less washing powder. It works and is much cheaper. I am very about that.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Oct-08 21:16:55

a bit thankyou I meant.

expatinscotland Tue 07-Oct-08 21:19:33

No, I don't handwash anything. It just doesn't get it clean enough for my snobby laundry taste.

I do use netbags for delicates and either wash them on the woolen cycle or quick wash with lavender wash sold by Lakeland and hang dry or dry jumpers on those racks in the bathtub.

I don't wash on 30.

feedthegoat Tue 07-Oct-08 21:20:01

I usually start off with good intentions but just bang things in at 40 when i've had them a few weeks. The only casualities I've ever had are of the beaded or sequined variety.

expatinscotland Tue 07-Oct-08 21:21:46

I wash bedding and towels at 60 in bio washing liquid. It kills the dust mites.

Most clothes go at 40 in the normal cycle with non-bio powder.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Oct-08 21:29:13

Should I just ignore all the handwash labels on bras/tights/jumpers etc and pop them all in a wool cycle, the smaller items to go in net bags?

expat do you notice a difference in creasing between a faster spin speed (normal cycle) and slower (delicate programmes)? If I change to the "normal" cycle I could wash more in one load, saving money and time.

I have virtually no ironing at the moment, as I slow spin things, then tumble for 10-20 minutes, then shake straightaway and hang up. Occasionally I iron cotton shirts, work tops etc. Also I iron trousers "properly"

expatinscotland Tue 07-Oct-08 21:31:48

no, i don't notice any difference in creasing, tbh.

i shake out very thoroughly before pegging.

pretty much all the ironing is for the girls' tops and DH's uniform plus one pair of his trousers.

i completely ignore handwash directions, tbh, with ONE exception: swim costumes.

otherwise, it just doesn't get it clean enough for me and i'm just too damned lazy to be arsed with dripping garments.

i have a few things i have dry cleaned once a year and that's it.

eekamoose Tue 07-Oct-08 21:32:29

Oh yes I agree this wash at 30 degrees campaign nonsense really annoys me too. And I wash all bedding, towels, tea towels, flannels and quite often my white cotton undergruds on 60. Or even 70 if someone's been sick or had a nose bleed or a little smudge of poo has found its way on to a sheet or somesuch.

Saw a TV ad the other day suggesting you could wash a white shirt at 15 deg! FFS!

Like Expats, my tights and bras go in the machine in a net bag. Do you always remember to do your bras up before washing so the hooks don't catch on other items?

onepieceoflollipop Tue 07-Oct-08 21:37:35

Thanks for the replies.

I read in <<whispers>> Good Housekeeping magazine that the washing at 30 was a bit rubbish (I am paraphrasing you understand!)

Swimming cossies I rinse usually (dd1 goes swimming weekly) then once every 2-3 weeks I put her costume in with a delicate wash.

I am going to experiment and use the "normal cycle" for a week or 2. Like most of us am desperately considering ways to save energy. If I can wash bigger loads then this could work.

I have also (thanks to advice from wise mners) started "topping up" my nappy wash with stuff like white vests, towels etc. I put the nappies on a rinse cycle first to swish all the wee away but so far all has been fine.

foofi Tue 07-Oct-08 21:49:11

I don't handwash anything. I wash everything at either 40 or 60. And I don't have a net bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now