Talk

Advanced search

wiffy carpet!!!

(9 Posts)
memoo Mon 06-Oct-08 12:29:42

We cleaned our carpets on Saturday using a rug doctor machine that we rented from Johnsons.

Carpets have come up lovely but now they are beginning to really smell! its like a damp musty smell and its getting worst.

Can anyone please give me some advice on how to get rid of it or will it just go in a few days??

forevercleaning Mon 06-Oct-08 12:31:47

are the carpets dry yet? Have you got the heating on to help dry them out.

If they are dry already, not sure why you have the pong.

memoo Mon 06-Oct-08 12:33:44

I have got the heating on and they do feel dry, just don't understnad what the smell is

forevercleaning Mon 06-Oct-08 12:35:31

We found that a couple of areas where it was 'lingering' were 'wee' that had gone through to the floorboards unerneath. In bathrooms where they had missed the toilet!

memoo Mon 06-Oct-08 12:38:52

God, we have a puppy, wonder if its where she has had accidents? although we do always clean them up afterwards.

the windows are full of condensation, as though there ia a lot of damp

forevercleaning Mon 06-Oct-08 12:48:59

yes, our dogs have been known to have a sly wee (!) and the stench is horrendous.

If you can sniff it out to specific apots perhaps see if you can pull the carpet up and look underneath. Our were rotten with wee. DH painted over the floorboards in those areas to sort of seal it in.

BUT it could just be taking a while to dry and the smell could just be damp carpet, espeically if you have condensation on the windows.

memoo Mon 06-Oct-08 15:54:49

oh crap! just got back from work and it smells so bad its unbearable. Don't know what to do. It does smell like wee!

forevercleaning Mon 06-Oct-08 16:41:20

all over or in certain aareas only?

memoo Mon 06-Oct-08 17:10:03

the whole room smells but when i get down and smell the carpet its just in certain bits. ahve been scrubing it with disinfectant but i can still smell it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now