Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We're paying £90 a month for electric alone and it's still not covering it, is anyone else paying this kind of amount?

(84 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Sat 04-Oct-08 09:56:05

We have gas as well which is costing about £100 a quarter. I just don't understand how our electric bill can be so high?

aGalChangedHerName Sat 04-Oct-08 09:58:05

Ours is £123 for leccy a month and our gas has gone up from £77 a month to £124 a month angry and sad

Have given my gym membership up and will cancel my cleaner next week.

LoveMyGirls Sat 04-Oct-08 09:59:13

It's really shocking i was hoping it was a mistake sad sad

Cocolepew Sat 04-Oct-08 10:00:18

Holy moly! That's tons shock. I have a keypad meter and buy it as I need it, at the moment I'm using £40 per month and that's for everything I don't have a gas cooker.

twinsetandpearls Sat 04-Oct-08 10:00:20

Our gas and eletric combined are about 100 a month and we were in credit with electric bt about £100.

That is in a 3 bed house with a dd who leaves lights on. It will increase as dp is working from home but I hope not to that much.

twinsetandpearls Sat 04-Oct-08 10:01:10

But my gas is quite low as we try really hard not to put the heating on.

cupsoftea Sat 04-Oct-08 10:01:28

we're tracking ours at the moment but heating not on!!

aGalChangedHerName Sat 04-Oct-08 10:02:39

We have a 4 bed and 4 dc. I have stopped using the tumble dryer and we are nagging the ds's to switch off tv's/lights etc to see if it makes a difference. I am a CM so the heating HAS to be on when i am at home.

LoveMyGirls Sat 04-Oct-08 10:02:50

Is this their way of forcing us to go green?

cupsoftea Sat 04-Oct-08 10:04:17

am using tumble dryer as things would take ages to dry with heating not on

LoveMyGirls Sat 04-Oct-08 10:05:19

I'm a cm'er too AGCHN I can't not have the heating on either and I've tried hanging washing out on dry days but it just doesn't dry because it's too cold, I'm going to have to invest in some more clothes horses i think.

aGalChangedHerName Sat 04-Oct-08 10:05:58

It's taking ages to dry washing with the heating on cupsoftea. Mainly because there's tons of the flipping stuff.

Have told the ds's not to use so many clothes too lol. Like pj's etc.

LoveMyGirls Sat 04-Oct-08 10:06:11

cupsotea is it cheaper to use the tumble dryer than to have the heating on and the clothes on airers and rad's? (genuine question btw)

LoveMyGirls Sat 04-Oct-08 10:06:47

I'm going out now but I'll be back later, thanks everyone.

aGalChangedHerName Sat 04-Oct-08 10:08:16

I have 2 clothes horses LMG. We got a good one from Argos,has 40m of drying space,it's bulky but you can get loads on it. Got one of those little peg thingys and i put undies/socks on it and hang it inside the airing cupboard.

Was £30 i think.

piratecat Sat 04-Oct-08 10:08:50

i so live in a different world, re the gym membership and cancelling the cleaner wink

cupsoftea Sat 04-Oct-08 10:09:12

don't know lovemygirls - good question. I have a room for the washing & drying with windows that I open so get air going through. Things like towels never really dry if the radiator isn't on. I put them outside (when not raining!!) to drip as much as poss before the drier.

onceinalifetime Sat 04-Oct-08 10:11:08

Ours has shot up - was £99 a month (no gas, two bed flat) and after the annual review, they want to change it to £400 a month (!!!!!!!!!!!!) to cover the shortfall. I think we should be paying £150-200 a month which is horrendous.

ohdearwhatamess Sat 04-Oct-08 10:11:09

Ours has just gone up to £62 per quarter, based on actual readings not estimates. 3 bed house, use dishwasher and washing machine and tumble drier a lot, pc on all day, electricity for cooking.

£90/month seems incredibly high (unless you live in a stately home).

aGalChangedHerName Sat 04-Oct-08 10:12:12

Piratecat blush I got the cleaner cos i work 7am till 7pm and i hated making DH do all the work on his days off and she is really cheap(just starting out)

The gym? My friend and i figured it was cheaper than going to the pub 2x a month. Don't go enough to justify it now.

LaDiDaDi Sat 04-Oct-08 10:12:31

I'm paying a total of £250/month for both.

It's partly our fault as we relied upon estimates for too long so ended up massively in debt to them but it's still ridiculous.

We have a 4 bed semi but it's very open plan downstairs. We are getting the massive loft re-insulated next week.

cupsoftea Sat 04-Oct-08 10:13:11

agal - same here - I took a pair of trousers out of the washing basket this morning as thought they weren't dirty enough!!

piratecat Sat 04-Oct-08 10:13:18

oh dear, what's your's based on? Is that your direct debit, based on recent usage, or is it estimated>

I don't gethow different these charges are.

piratecat Sat 04-Oct-08 10:15:15

agal, no need to explain, i am a sahm/single mum now, and do very little cleaning, so i am just being silly.

I had a scarf on in the lounge yesterday.

jollyoldstnickschick Sat 04-Oct-08 10:15:47

i live in a small terraced house with dh and 3 dc my electric bill last quarter was £210 but my gas is at least £90 a month thats with no fire on !!.

my electric bill is mostly washer and dryer im sure, altho my oven is electric my hob is gas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now