Talk

Advanced search

How can I clean my iron?

(8 Posts)
janx Wed 01-Oct-08 19:22:28

I don't know what has happened, but have got something sticky and black on the iron plate...the local hardware shop was out of cleaner for it..anything suggestions - thanks

countingto10 Wed 01-Oct-08 19:51:16

TBH I think you will need one of those iron cleaning sticks - did your local shop say when they were getting more in ? I managed to melt the elastic from my DS underpants onto the iron when ironing on name labels (he's at boarding school in case you were wondering why I was naming his pants). The iron cleaning stick was brilliant.

nannyL Wed 01-Oct-08 20:26:56

i asked this a few months ago

was told to use salt and a cloth and it worked really well

the only thing i would recommend would be putting bluetack or somthing soimilar in the steam holes as it was a bit difficult (but not impossible) to get the salt out of the steam holes afterwards

browntrout Wed 01-Oct-08 20:46:04

heat it up, put plate onto a bar of wet soap and then iron on a towel til clean again. you may have to do it a couple of times

janx Wed 01-Oct-08 21:02:01

Oh thanks - will try your suggestions

beansmum Wed 01-Oct-08 21:04:16

while we are on the subject of irons, how do I clean the inside of mine? I poured apple juice in by mistake instead of water. Now my clothes smell.

janx Wed 01-Oct-08 21:32:50

Just tried the soap option - worked a treat

browntrout Thu 02-Oct-08 21:17:24

im very pleased - one of my mum's old tricks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: