Talk

Advanced search

SIMPLY washing tabs - which for whites and which for colours?

(10 Posts)
blithedance Mon 29-Sep-08 22:05:03

I have just got a new washing machine and am going to turn over a new leaf in sorting washing and using the right cycle. No more stick-it-all-on-at-40-regardless here!

The machine instructions say its best to have two detergents, a bleach containing one for whites (which will also help keep the machine clean) and a special detergent for colours.

Then they go and recommend Simply eco-friendly washing tabs. I would love to use these. But it's not clear to me which of the Simply products is a bleaching one or a for-coloureds one. They just have bio and non-bio.

Any ideas, please?

pgwithnumber3 Mon 29-Sep-08 22:08:12

Oh take no notice to them recommending Simply eco-friendly, just a big PR spin.

I use Ariel on a 30 or 40 degree wash for my whites with a scoop of Vanish to get rid of stains and do my coloureds/darks on a 30 degree wash with a non-bio. Using a lower temperature the majority of the time will do more for the environment (electricity and water) than using an eco-friendly detergent.

WendyWeber Mon 29-Sep-08 22:10:12

They also do a Pure one now, just to complicate things more!

But if nobody in your house has sensitivity issues then you might as well use bio for everything smile

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 29-Sep-08 22:11:42

I am very cynical and will say that:
they recommend something that they will make money on, prob get paid to recommend it. Washing tablets are a very expensive way to do your laundry. Bio contains enzymes to clean your washing, non bio often contains bleach to get things cleaner.
Me I would just use sainsburys own bio or non bio its really cheap and I am very impressed with the wash I get in my bosch machine.

WendyWeber Mon 29-Sep-08 22:12:41

Nah, Simply aren't that expensive compared with the branded ones.

blithedance Mon 29-Sep-08 22:23:37

Simply tabs are £6 for 30 washes, less if I bulk buy (20p/wash)

Asda non-bio powder is £4.32 for 30 washes. (15p)

Ariel tablets 2.98 for 12 washes. (about 25p)

WendyWeber Mon 29-Sep-08 22:50:22

If you buy 4 30-tab tubs online (£2.99 each), with a free tub of dishwasher detergent thrown in (£4.99), they work out at £1.74 per tub or 11.6p per wash (& that's if you use 2 tabs, you can often get by with 1)

They are good value, & they wash well, & they are green smile

blithedance Tue 30-Sep-08 21:45:23

Ha Ha - I don't have a dishwasher Wendy. Yes I was looking at online, but it's a big commitment to buy all those.

So to the original question - is it all the same for either whites or colours, or will I get my colours bleached out? It looks as if Simply used to do a colour detergent but don't any more.

WendyWeber Wed 01-Oct-08 15:25:41

Sorry, blithedance smile

The Pure ones are prob best for coloureds (they are a bit more expensive though) & the bio for whites if you have no sensitivity issues.

With no d/w, your best deal price-wise from the website would be the double-tub boxes - £5.79 each & you get 4 for the price of 3. But last time there was a Simply thread a few people said you can buy single tubs in some supermarkets & they have a 50p coupon inside. (Oh - and apparently Farmfoods sell it for £1.80 a tub shock)

blithedance Fri 03-Oct-08 20:59:42

thanks Wendy

Farmfoods, there must be one of those around here!

I was thinking about the boxes, just is a big commitment. I bought my experimental tub from a supermarket - wondering where the coupon went now...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: