Talk

Advanced search

Ok-mumsnet please tell me what colour tiles to put in kitchen >??????????

(20 Posts)
fakeblonde Fri 26-Sep-08 13:34:07

I came onto mums net for inspiration with my bathroom tiles and you were fab !
Now i need to decide on kitchen tiles and i have absolutely NO IDEA with style and whats "in " ect so would really appreciate some ideas.

Ok here`s what i have.

Black granite work surfaces.
Stainless steel sink and cooker.
Pine units.

Its a very small kitchen.

I want some tiles that are trendy but not wacky iykwim.

Budget-little as pos.

At the mo we have white tiles with a horrid tile thrown in at various places containing a 3d fruitbowl grin.
x

forevercleaning Fri 26-Sep-08 13:44:28

oh god that sounds like mine with the odd hideous tile reuining it! Can you put a pic of the kitchen up on your profile so we can see what its like before we advise colours?

stealthsquiggle Fri 26-Sep-08 13:48:12

White (cheap) with no dodgy ones - possibly a single line of narrow granite-coloured ones? B&Q do some nice border tiles to go with their cheap white ones.

Lauriefairycake Fri 26-Sep-08 13:49:25

I like the white urinal tiles - oblong with a bevelled edge. Have you seen the film 'somethings gotta give'? in Diane Keaton's Hampton house she has granite worksurfaces and stainless steel appliances. She has white units rather than pine. And she has those tiles.

They will open up the space and be sufficiently interesting in design for people to not be able to place how expensive or cheap they are. Square white nasty imo and looks very cheap no matter how much they cost

daisyj Fri 26-Sep-08 13:57:07

I came on here to find that I have been pr-empted by Lauriefairycake. We are just this very week having the bevelled edge oblong tiles put in our also stainless steel kitchen (but with oak worktops), and we are incredibly stylish grin. Also having them in bathroom. I have to admit that I first go the idea from seeing them in Carrie Bradshaw's bathroom (sad but true). Also saw them in a very nice kitchen in Living, etc. last month. They are v. cheap, but get the ones from Homebase or B&Q (or Topps Tiles if you have one nearby), not Wickes, as the bevel isn't as deep and they're not as nice.

fakeblonde Fri 26-Sep-08 14:20:08

Mmm some great ideas-like them both tbh x

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 26-Sep-08 14:23:42

I'd say something colourful, maybe a greyish turqiuose ish colour, in large square mosaic tiles.

ComeOVeneer Fri 26-Sep-08 14:24:13

These
?

brimfull Fri 26-Sep-08 14:25:53

nice blue goes well with pine and black

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 26-Sep-08 14:27:36

It also depends on the style of your house.

ComeOVeneer Fri 26-Sep-08 14:30:07

I have a metallic silvery grey style, goes really nicely with the dark granite worktops, pale wood cupboards stainless steel and slat floor. Then I painted the walls and sage colour.

Jodee Mon 29-Sep-08 12:05:25

I was just going to post the same message but will stick it in here if that's OK!

Kitchen being fitted next week, I am losing sleep over the tiles!

It's a cream shaker style with D handles and a wenge dark block effect laminate worktop. Would have got upstands but can't get them with this worktop.

I think I could get away with dark tiles, as there is a lot of light and we have turned it into a kitchen/diner.

what about a dark metallic sheen tile? and where to find them? Thank you... smile

Tortington Mon 29-Sep-08 12:06:08

we have muted rustic small tiles - not midget - but smaller

Jodee Mon 29-Sep-08 12:45:56

something like this custy?

CherryChapstick Mon 29-Sep-08 12:47:36

I have just had these done, but in black.

preggersplayspop Mon 29-Sep-08 12:51:53

How about no tiles? I've just had my kitchen done and opting for no tiles...will have washable paint, upstands and maybe a glass splashback behind hob.

If not, then brick shaped tiles definitely. They look cool. Fired earth ones are gorgeous but v v expensive.

Tortington Mon 29-Sep-08 17:06:17

yes jodie similar colours!

good idea about the No tiles

i bought the house with these tiles and i quite like the kitchen how it is - but if i were going for a refurb - i would deffo opt for no tiles - and a splashback

handbagqueen Mon 29-Sep-08 17:09:56

We have bottle green tiles with black granite, stainless steel and wood units. They look really nice. We painted the walls above the units and where there is no tiling the same shade of green.

Jodee Tue 30-Sep-08 23:15:28

thanks everyone, have gone for a rustic stone-effect ceramic, a mottly colour somewhere between cream and wenge brown (can't find a pic!)

QuintessentialShadows Tue 30-Sep-08 23:25:54

I was going to say black tiles with a charcoal and silvery hue, but I see you have already found your tile. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now