Talk

Advanced search

Dry cleaning a rug - anyone know of a cheaper alternative??

(6 Posts)
PicknMix Wed 24-Sep-08 17:27:39

Hi all,

I've just bought a rug off eBay and its turned up a little worse for wear. Can't be bothered with all the hassle of parcelling it up/sending it back etc (the perils of buying off eBay) so want to clean it.

Its a beautiful Laura Ashley rug in 60% Cotton, 40% Wool and says 'Dry Clean Only' on it. I've called a few Dry Cleaners and have had average quotes of about £50 (which is more than I paid for it). Is there a way of doing it cheaply??

I never really understand dry cleaning - will it completely ruin it if I bung it in the bath and soak it?? Being the majority cotton, as long as I dry it flat (will be interesting as its 240x160cm), will it be ok?? I've had a google but am still none the wiser!

Or am I being naively optimistic?!

Many thanks in advance for your help smile

mogs0 Wed 24-Sep-08 17:58:26

Do you collect clubcard points? Johnsons dry cleaners accept their vouchers. I was quoted £100 to get my 2 rugs cleaned but have just exchanged £25 worth of clubcard vouchers and am off to get them cleaned tomorrow!! I can't wait, they are stinking!!! blush

I don't know about cleaning it yourself, do you have or know someone who has a carpet cleaner? My Step dad did one of my rugs recently and it did look better but still not as clean as I'd like it!!

PicknMix Wed 24-Sep-08 19:01:41

Ooo good point re the club card points Mogs, thank you, will check that out.

Wasn't sure if it was safe to use a carpet cleaner on it as thats wet though? If its ok to use one then I'm sure I could track one down somewhere!!

mogs0 Wed 24-Sep-08 20:11:25

My rug is 100% wool and on the care label says "professional flat wash (water)". It really does stink at the moment and I don't know why. I'll be a bit blush when I take it to the cleaners tomorrow! I ordered the Johnsons vouchers on Monday night and they arrived today!!

marmadukescarlet Thu 25-Sep-08 10:28:03

I used to take some large rugs (habitat woven rugs white with a light check on, lived on a farm - who though that was a good colour to buy!) to my local launderette that had a dry cleaning machine.

I did have to drive home with the windows open as they niffed a bit.

PicknMix Fri 26-Sep-08 19:46:56

Just to update (!) I went for the poor mans choice of a good old soak in the bath with a bit of washing powder and its come up good as new (yay!). It took 3 rinses with the hose outside and 1.5 days on the line to dry (thank god for the sunshine!) but was worth it.

Good choice of colour marmaduke grin I had no idea laundrettes sometimes have a dry clean machine - will bare that in mind for next time, thank you!!

Hope yours come out nicely mogs and the nasty niff is banished!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now