Talk

Advanced search

Yukky mucky toy

(14 Posts)
georgiemum Tue 23-Sep-08 11:40:31

Any ideas on how to clean a repulsively dirty bean-filled toy? It says 'sponge clean only' on the tag but I doubt that will work.

I will be in BIG trouble if it gets damaged!

DeJaVous Tue 23-Sep-08 11:42:50

What sort of fabric is it? TBH I'd be very tempted to handwash it.

Mind you, you'll probably be in big trouble for changing its smell!

Goober Tue 23-Sep-08 11:44:30

Put it on a gentle wash in the machine.

notwavingjustironing Tue 23-Sep-08 11:45:37

stick it in a pillow case in the washing machine though, in case it falls to pieces (at least you will have all the bits).

RedHead81 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:49:10

i stick all toys in the machine! even bean filled ones - do you have a handwash cycle on your machine? also, a fast spin - in with plenty of towels will remove most water from him!

i agree with being in big trouble for changing the smell though! my ds has a "Fluffy" (a crocheted square about 5x5 inches) and he hates it when it gets washed.

if its that precious, i would sponge the worst off and stick him in the freezer for a few hours in a plastic bag to get rid of any bugs.

georgiemum Tue 23-Sep-08 11:49:26

It's plush (I think that's the right term). Short hair (about 3mm) but not fluffy. I should have bought 2!

Will try popping it in the machine on gentlest cycle I can and see if it explodes. You will hear the wails if it does...

RedHead81 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:51:04

good luck
let us know how it goes

missmama Tue 23-Sep-08 11:59:05

How about putting it in a sock if you can squeeze it in?
Keep it all nice and tight but still gets a good rinse.

georgiemum Tue 23-Sep-08 12:38:01

Waiting... waiting... fingers crossed that puppy pulls through... on spin cycle...

RedHead81 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:57:18

he should be ok,... i've heard puppy's can hold their breath for long periods of time!

georgiemum Tue 23-Sep-08 13:03:41

Hooray! Puppy is clean and sweet-smelling. But will DS recognise him? I will tell him he's been to a health spa.

DeJaVous Tue 23-Sep-08 13:08:10

Brilliant! DS probably wont be too impressed, but he'll get used to it. You could try telling him the toy begged you to bath himgrin

RedHead81 Tue 23-Sep-08 13:11:14

or, tell him you found him getting out of the bath and he used ds's shampoo without asking, the cheeky little thing!

georgiemum Tue 23-Sep-08 17:05:32

Happy DS. It slipped out that he'd been for a ride in the washing machine.

Unfortunately it was as we were coming home and the look I got from some passers-by when I announced 'guess who's back - Puppy! And he's been in the washing machine so he's all nice and clean!' blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now