Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I am trying to cut back EVERYWHERE so would like some guidance please

(22 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 22:15:39

What can I use everywhere in the house (or nearly everywhere) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg & will last ages?

Also, what do you use white vinegar for? Apart from keeping re-useable nappies soft and descaling kettles

Basically, what's not going to cost me a fortune bu will still do the job and last a while

nannyL Sun 21-Sep-08 22:22:06

soda crystals are cheap and work really well at cleaning everything

especially Kitchen sinks and oven tops

you can also just use a teeny bit of expensive washing detergent and a spoonful of soda crystals which works out cheaper

I use vinegar instead of fabric softener... a small 'glug' in the softener bit.

It also works magic at cleaning taps and cleaning my stainless steel bin, bringing it to an immediate gleaming shine with just 1 wipe over smile

lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 22:27:00

cheers nannyL, will try soda crystals. A shiny bin would be a novelty in this house, ours is stainless steel too but it's always got fingerprints all over where the lo has used it to steady herself from falling into td hmm

moondog Sun 21-Sep-08 22:28:03

E cloths are great. Clean with none or hardly ANY chemicals. make my stainless steel bin look perfect.

lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 22:30:18

I looked at those the other day moondog, it was just the initial outlay that put me off a bit. I can see the sense in paying once for ages of use though.

Something like those would have to wait until payday after next though I think but will have another look at them

Califrau Sun 21-Sep-08 22:34:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Sun 21-Sep-08 22:35:21

Califrau Sun 21-Sep-08 22:36:32

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 22:41:38

i use liquidised soap nuts in a spray bottle with water and a few drops of 'anti-bacterial' essential oil blend from Abbey Botanicals (available online) to clean most surfaces.

i also use half washing powder/half soda crystals to do the washing. works fine especially when you line dry.

cheapest place for microfibre cloths is Lidl.

AND, i use them as a booster in nappies instead of a real booster. just fold them in half.

once DD2 was out of nappies, i now use them to clean and they're still going strong.

nannyL Sun 21-Sep-08 22:44:52

micro fibre cloths work as well as ecloths

we have them at work... the tesco ones...

we have blue for kitchen and green for the cleaner and they are really good and make the granite sparkle with no chemicals at all smile

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 09:07:25

maybe microfibre cloths are the way to go then. Am popping to Lidl this week for some yoghurts and bits so will investigate whilst there. Thanks smile

gem1981 Mon 22-Sep-08 14:59:47

i saw a good tip on a moneysaving thread once.

put your cleaning fluid into one of those spray bottle you use to 'spritz' indoor plants.

it makes the stuff last ages as only a bit comes out at a time so there is hardly any wastage.

rebelmum1 Mon 22-Sep-08 15:12:57

I use white vinegar to clean down my work surfaces it kills bacteria. I also just recently started cleaning my windows with newspaper and a vinegar solution - they have never been so clean. Use cheap biological washing powder on slate/ lino/ stone floor (add a bit to warm water) really cuts through dirt. Tell me again about soda crystals? I have a bag but not used, do i need gloves? how much should I use? Clean out cat/ dog bowls and suspect bowls that have been left with food for too long with vinegar too.

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Sep-08 15:14:28

stardrops - get it in wilkinsons, cleans everything and washing up. About £1 a bottle and that is all you need smile

juliejukes Mon 22-Sep-08 15:28:41

I second Stardrops - only 79p in Semichem. I use it diluted in a spray bottle for everything! If you go to Money Saving Old Style you will get loads of tips about vinegar, soda crystals, stardrops, etc.

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 16:51:47

Didn't know that about bio wash powder for floors! I only use Value stuff atm anyways so will give it a go tonight when I mop kitchen/bathroom.

White viegar, if it's antibacterial will be great as can use it for highchair as well as sides.

Off to invstigate money saving old style, thanks all smile

Cappuccino Mon 22-Sep-08 16:55:38

I make spray cleaner out of 2 tsps borax, 2 tbsps white vinegar, 2 cups water and a couple of drops of lavender oil - think it was an Anthea recipe or something

clean loos with baking soda

agree re soda crystals - a scoop, and then half the amount of soap powder

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Sep-08 18:02:21

use washing powder for dirty saucepans aswell - cuts through and they sparkle smile

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 20:28:39

well, you really do learn something nw every day!!

I'll note that down in my book about washing powder for pans, it's not something I would have even thought to try out! ever!

Bluebutterfly Mon 22-Sep-08 20:33:14

Use a vinegar and water mixture to clean windows - use old newspaper (or an old pillow case ripped into squares) to dry them.

Alexa808 Tue 23-Sep-08 06:26:35

Check out: women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article4805274.ece

tigermoth Tue 23-Sep-08 06:48:08

Definitely use soda crystals for cleaning - and when you do a wash, reduce the amount of washing powder by around 1/3 and top up with soda crystals.

Thin 'own brand' bleach works just as well as thick bleach on many things. How often do you really need a heavy duty bleach?

When you do buy cleaning products, use ranges like Sainsbury's Basics - ie a box of washing powder is 68p, toilet cleaner is 25p, a packet of cleaning sponges is 15p.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now