Talk

Advanced search

best way to wash king size duvet ?

(17 Posts)
misdee Fri 19-Sep-08 21:14:23

as got mine out of the loft today after being up there for two winters. needs freshening up before i pack it up again for the house move. then will go on the bed once we move. not wuite cold enough for it now.

will i be able to clean it ok at the laundrette then hang outside to dry over the weekend?

NomDePlume Fri 19-Sep-08 21:15:15

some laundrettes don't do duvets.

misdee Fri 19-Sep-08 21:24:02

i know the local ones does. but i dont want to put it in for a service wash and dry, would prefer to get it dried outside as weather is meant to be good.

LittleMyDancing Fri 19-Sep-08 21:27:17

is it feather? feather ones have to go in the tumble drier as if they're not properly dried the feathers go mouldy.

we take ours to a laundrette and they wash and dry them in the big machines. by far the easiest way.

misdee Fri 19-Sep-08 21:28:10

not feather due to dd's allergies.

its not a pricey one either, just lovely and warm lol.

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 19-Sep-08 21:29:01

we had outs dry cleaned at the sainsbury's dry cleaners.. not too expensive and fast turnround.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Fri 19-Sep-08 21:29:42

I looked at getting mine clean and the price to get it cleaned it was cheaper to buy a new one from tesco - totally wasteful i know.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:30:34

I always start ours off in the dryer at the launderette,(to fluff it up again) then hang out in the sun (haha) to finish it off.

misdee unless the weather is really sunny, you may need to drape it over bannisters/large airer overnight to be 100% sure it is dry especially as you are going to be packing it up again.

expatinscotland Fri 19-Sep-08 21:32:36

if it's synthetic you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a laundrette to do it.

feather ones have to be tumble dried.

LittleMyDancing Fri 19-Sep-08 21:33:42

I wouldn't dry clean it, all those chemicals on something you sleep under would make me nervous.

sounds like you could just wash it in the big machine in the laundrette and then hang up as onepiece suggests.

misdee Fri 19-Sep-08 21:33:44

it will be draped over packing boxes overnight as well. was hoping to take it down laundrette first thing in the morning, and hang it out all day outside, in over night, and again out on sunday.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:36:46

That's what I would do. Forecast is v good for most of the country tomorrow and Sunday as you probably know if you have made plans for your duvet!

Just take your own washing powder (enough for the prewash as well) and a bag of pound coins.

misdee Fri 19-Sep-08 21:37:41

i have loads of laundry plans for the weekend lol.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:42:13

Oh I have the machine loaded up ready to go on later (tip from expat on here! grin)

I would be gutted if I didn't wash over the weekend and it rains all next week!

blithedance Wed 24-Sep-08 13:39:08

Did you get on OK? Our local dry cleaners has a duvet washing service for about £10 - they keep it for a week and guarantee it's dry enough to store.

misdee Wed 24-Sep-08 13:40:06

havent done it yet blush i asked dh to take it to the laundrette and he forgot. so its still in my kitchen getting dustier.

Notquitegrownup Wed 24-Sep-08 13:46:40

You're in luck. It's going to be a nice weekend this weekend too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now