Talk

Advanced search

How would you deal with a damp cupboard?

(9 Posts)
LittleMyDancing Wed 17-Sep-08 20:16:20

There's one cupboard in my kitchen that gets very damp. I used to keep food in it (flour, rice etc) until I realised how bad it was and everything went mouldy.

I've now switched it round so the pans and plates etc are in there, but would like any tips for keeping it a bit less damp in there. Anyone got any ideas?

We can't do much about it as it's a rented house and the damp problem is one that is more deep seated than just a cupboard, iyswim.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Sep-08 20:18:58

borrow a dehumidifier?

empathies, we've got the same problem in the middle bedroom and use the dehumidifer the landlords left.

LittleMyDancing Wed 17-Sep-08 20:23:29

yes, this might be one of those threads where you post and then think 'erm, perhaps a dehumidifier' and then that's sort of it, really...... smile

damp is so blinking annoying - have throw away three bags of flour, two of sugar, some apricots and some salt. and I've gone out and bought all the tupperware Ikea can offer, and am about to become super organised housewife and put everything into tubs.

this has never happened to me before. I might join Fly lady.

shock

on second thoughts, that'll never happen wink

cheesesarnie Wed 17-Sep-08 20:27:30

our whole house is like this so you have my sympathy.everything is covered in mouldsaddc books,my shoes,funiture,a brand new pillow on the floor for a sleepover was mouldy after a week!,a buggy,etc etc etcsad

LittleMyDancing Wed 17-Sep-08 20:37:11

it's rubbish, isn't it?

we used to get our books nibbled by mice in our old house, when I was little, too!

blossomsmine Thu 18-Sep-08 21:57:24

We have a few dampish corners....found these brilliant things in the hardware shop that take away the moisture. Not sure what they are called but they are kind of plastic boxes with lids, you put these chrystal things on the top tray and the moisture turns the chrystals to water (or something like that!) anyway after a month or so i go round and empty out all the water and fill up with chrystals again, they are really good. I used to get a horrid black mouldy patch in my outdoor porch but now i use these i don't get it at allsmile

JackieNo Thu 18-Sep-08 22:01:56

We have lots of damp bits (so to speak) in our house too. If it's just a small space, I find this seems to work well - same sort of thing as blossomsmine describes, except to recharge it, you just put it in the microwave for 8 mins on full power to drive off the moisture.

LittleMyDancing Fri 19-Sep-08 19:14:58

Thanks for the tips, think I'll invest in a few of those dehumidifer thingies and see if it helps.

All my perishables are now sealed in IKEA tubs, carefully marked. I feel like a good housewife.

That's if you don't look at how dirty the rest of the house is, that is! shock

blossomsmine Fri 19-Sep-08 21:40:47

The egg thing looks good!! Might get one of those, but abit more pricey than the other things i was going on about, they really do work, so give them a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now