Talk

Advanced search

Mould on sealant

(6 Posts)
likessleep Wed 17-Sep-08 13:12:13

Around edge of basin.
I've tried bleach and 'mould and mildew remover' without success.
Any hints/tips gratefully received .. thanks muchly!

Badpups Wed 17-Sep-08 15:10:51

I had this problem and tried everything to get rid of it as it made my bath look filthy! I even tried steam cleaning it and bought some extra strong stuff in a French DIY shop that improved it a bit but not enough to make a real difference.

In the end we had new mastic (sp?) put round which is "mildew resistant" so it shouldn't go this way. This was only done last week so too early to tell if it's worked.

Sorry not to have a miracle cure!

likessleep Wed 17-Sep-08 20:54:19

thanks badpups. tbh, i didn't think there was a cure other than replacing it, but i thought i'd ask.
thanks for responding.

Pennies Wed 17-Sep-08 20:55:54

Get some Domestos Grot Buster - I used it on some two year old stubborn mildew stains last week and they're history. I left the stuff on for an hour rather than the 5 minutes it suggests though!

likessleep Wed 17-Sep-08 21:38:11

hi pennies - was the mould actually in the sealant? if so, did it get rid of it totally (here the anticipation!)

Pennies Thu 18-Sep-08 17:25:00

Well yes, it seemed to be totally and utterly ingrained in it - I'd managed to lighten the stain a bit before with normal bleach and various potions, but this stuff nuked it good and proper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now