Talk

Advanced search

tell me ALL about your heating timer please - dull but i need to know

(35 Posts)
FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:03:21

Message withdrawn

FabioVicePeeperPlopper Wed 17-Sep-08 11:05:16

You can get ones that you can pick the temp?
Excellent.

<calls plumber to underground cat palace>

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:06:09

Message withdrawn

saltire Wed 17-Sep-08 11:08:49

I've never seen one that regulates the temp, all the ones (in cheap MQs) I have seen have separate thermostats

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:09:42

Message withdrawn

CookieMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 11:11:44

We have just had a new boiler installed and with it came a whizzy new wireless timer for the central heating. It is a Drayton Digistat and has 6 different time periods where you can either use their defaults or set your own temperatures.

We are still getting used to it and adjusting some of the temperatures to suit us, but I think it is brilliant. You can set it up to be the same for 7 days, or you can give it a different setting for the weekend.

No idea how much this would cost if you were buying it on its own, but I for one would highly recommend it.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:14:03

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:14:25

Message withdrawn

CookieMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 11:33:38

What's good about it is that it keeps the house at an acceptable temperature without having the heating on constantly (as we had to do with our old setup). This is great for me because I work at home and is definitely going to be easier on the pocket.

We have it set to come on at 6.30 at 20 degrees so that the house is warm before we get up, then it comes on and off throughout the day (but always keeping the temp around 19 degrees). We then up the temperature to 21 degrees for the evening when we are all in and it goes off at 10.30pm with the temp set to 7 degrees so that we don't all boil in our beds.

I love not having to constantly think about whether the heating is timed right to come on or go off or is on constant and forgetting to switch it off overnight blush. It's all done for me now.

CookieMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 11:34:41

The one we have is not portable - it is fixed to the wall in the hall. It is however wireless, which meant no gouging out of walls etc

LilRedWG Wed 17-Sep-08 11:42:23

Here you are Cod - this place has a sale on.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:47:21

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:47:21

Message withdrawn

DrNortherner Wed 17-Sep-08 11:48:37

You have yuor heating on through the night?!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Sep-08 11:57:17

we have some godawful blardy thing that works via radio signal to the boiler and is super intelligent and switches itself off when it hits the temp you set it for. It only has two timing settings during the day though, although it has a nightime frost setting so it comes on if temp drops belwo 5degC. You can also change the temperature of the water coming from the boiler so if you have rugrats they won't burn themselves on the pipework, or have scalding water coming out the hot tap.

Is that the sort of thing you mean?

I can't work the bugger though blush, especially getting it to come on for an hour inspite of the plumber showing me about four times how it works. I'm thinking of asking him back to fit a more traditional type.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 12:06:02

Message withdrawn

CookieMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 12:16:51

Northerner, the point is that it would only come on if the temperature falls below 7 degrees (this is the default setting) and it would keep it at 7 degrees, which is fine for now because it's not that cold yet. This is also going to be useful when going away in the winter months for avoiding frozen pipes etc.

This is ours .. heating timer

CookieMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 12:18:02

and cod, you wouldn't keep your existing thermostat because this is the thermostat as well as the timer.

Bridie3 Wed 17-Sep-08 12:23:50

20 or 21 degrees! You softies.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 12:24:20

Message withdrawn

hoxtonchick Wed 17-Sep-08 12:26:38

ours v similar to cookie monster's. i love it (& am the only one who understands it, bwah ha ha). don't keep it in your warmest room though, as you'll freeze your tits off in the rest of the house.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 17-Sep-08 12:32:11

Message withdrawn

EddieStobart Wed 17-Sep-08 12:33:41

i am utterly baffled by heating in new house

have delegated to dh

three diff systems

fgs

hoxtonchick Wed 17-Sep-08 12:42:50

came with our new boiler. so inc in installation. no help for you really.

snorkle Wed 17-Sep-08 13:07:51

Depending on your boiler type, it may be easier to replace the thermostat with an all-singing all-dancing one that allows diff temp settings per time of day/day of week/holidays etc and then just leave heating on permanently on the existing bog standard control and let the thermostat do all the controlling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now