Talk

Advanced search

Possibly THE most boring thread in the history of MN

(31 Posts)
MascaraOHara Mon 15-Sep-08 21:06:50

Do you have a good way of folding and ironing fitted sheets?

it drives me nuts! I fold the fitted corners under but then the middles always flop out when I try to fold them. I've even tried ironing a crease into them

FanjolinaJolly Mon 15-Sep-08 21:08:08

Are you Anthea in disguise?

Califrau Mon 15-Sep-08 21:08:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

norksinmywaistband Mon 15-Sep-08 21:09:41

Fold it as best you can then Iron just before you put it on the bedgrin

MerlinsBeard Mon 15-Sep-08 21:09:42

the BEST way is to not do them grin

seriously!

either leave them altogether or pay someone else to do them for you!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 15-Sep-08 21:09:42

Hang them over rail on landing to fold them. (don't know what you do if you don't have one!).

Dont iron them

DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 21:10:09

never iron them!

Folding them is folding the fitted corners and kind of bundling it into a rectangle shape!

PuppyMonkey Mon 15-Sep-08 21:10:10

They aren't meant to be ironed.... that'swhy it'sso hard... wink

MascaraOHara Mon 15-Sep-08 21:10:59

If they're creased I do (?) don't you?

tis nice to get into clean ironed sheets..

but even when I don't iron them, I still have to fold them and I can't fold them into a nice rectangle or square ebcause the middle flop out and make them look like I just screwed them up and threw them in the airing cupboard blush

have I just outed myself as incredibly anal?

EyeballsintheSky Mon 15-Sep-08 21:11:00

Google for ironing lady. Pack items into bag. Hand to good woman at the door...

I'd love an ironing lady if I wasn't so poor. But I compensate by never ironing anything!

BellaBear Mon 15-Sep-08 21:11:07

fold in half, tuck the opposite corners into each other, fold in half again, and tuck again. fold the edges over enough so you get a rectangle with one curved corner. Continue to fold until small as required.

I can't do this, but I have a friend who can and makes it look beautiful. When I do it, it looks dreadful and I might as well not bother. So I don't!

Janni Mon 15-Sep-08 21:11:08

You must only iron sheets if you have the MIL from hell visiting. Otherwise there is no point on God's sweet earth.

cheekysealion Mon 15-Sep-08 21:12:50

never iron them just roll them up

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Sep-08 21:13:01

I dont usually iron them, but if they are a bit damp off the line then I might just do the middle, dont go near the edges, It will turn your hair white

NorbertDentressangle Mon 15-Sep-08 21:13:18

1. do not bother ironing them as stretching them over the mattress takes any creases out anyway.

2.I fold them by hooking the corners over my hands IYSWIM -can't really explain it but fold sheet in half, folding the corners so the sheet hangs on your hands, then fold the sheet across so all corners are now over one hand, lie it down and tuck sides in and fold.
(hmm that makes no sense but hopefully someone else will explain it better)

norksinmywaistband Mon 15-Sep-08 21:13:30

My MIL irons her bedsheet every morning when she gets out of bed - plugs the iron in next to the bed and irons out that nights creases.shock
And she changes the sheets every 3 days!

wheresthehamster Mon 15-Sep-08 21:13:36

Fitted sheets, once dry, are rolled into a ball and thrown up onto the second shelf of the airing cupboard. That's the law. It is impossible to fold them.

As for ironing, well, words fail me. You'll be telling us next you iron tea-towels and dh's pants grin

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 15-Sep-08 21:13:38

stick em in tumble dryer to fin off and fold roughly whilst smoothing and thats that - i dont do this by the way - i tumble dry mine for ten mins to make softer after they have hung on the line for days on end then roll them in a ball and bung em in any draw i have spare grin

RustyBear Mon 15-Sep-08 21:15:40

For the totally anal amongst us....

Doesn't look as if he ironed it first though.

missorinoco Mon 15-Sep-08 21:18:46

put onto bed whilst nearly but not totally dry and creases fall out.

WingsofaAngel Mon 15-Sep-08 21:20:59

Never iron them. Whats the point.

Folding well I try and get each corner and make a rectangular shape put them in the airing cupboard.

Another tip never iron tights grin

wheresthehamster Mon 15-Sep-08 21:23:54

Love the link!

Fascinating watching someone do something so utterly pointless...!

Janni Mon 15-Sep-08 21:39:07

Norksinmywaistband: Tell your MIL from me that she needs to hotfoot it down to the Life shop and get one.

MascaraOHara Mon 15-Sep-08 22:01:32

I LOVE that video.. I am so going to be trying that technique blush

norksinmywaistband Tue 16-Sep-08 08:41:09

Janni - Unfortunately cleaning is her life.But following much persuasion she is currently on her first holiday in over 20 years so you never know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now