Talk

Advanced search

best way to get wedding rings/engagement rings sparkly without having to pay for a pro clean at jewellers ?

(23 Posts)
gem1981 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:37:50

does anyone have a nifty and thrifty way to do this?

cheers

RubySlippers Mon 15-Sep-08 15:38:27

gin and a toothbrush

notwavingjustironing Mon 15-Sep-08 15:38:51

I asked a jeweller what to do with my diamond eternity ring and he said "normal toothpaste and an electric toothbrush". I was shock
But it works!

MarkStretch Mon 15-Sep-08 15:41:06

Yeah I had my white gold engagement ring polished by a jeweller and he ruined it by taking the gold plate off! Now I've got to get it re-plated.

You can get those little cloths for cleaning them, I'm going to try the toothpaste though....

cmotdibbler Mon 15-Sep-08 15:42:43

I have an ultrasonic cleaner from Lakeland. Gets everything really clean, inc DHs watch strap

Eddas Mon 15-Sep-08 15:48:42

Go swimming!

TattyCatty Mon 15-Sep-08 15:49:55

Just finished soaking mine in a bit of washing up liquid and hot water. Used a cocktail stick to get the gungy bits of old soap etc out of the nooks and crannies, and now sparkling like a good'un!

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 15-Sep-08 15:52:41

Another vote here for gin and an old toothbrush.

fairydust Mon 15-Sep-08 21:03:21

a glass of cold water with lots of washing up liquid left to soak over night

jimmyjammys Mon 15-Sep-08 22:24:23

my jeweller recommended boiling it in fairy liquid and water for a few minutes!

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:25:09

Gin!

madlentileater Mon 15-Sep-08 22:25:55

tooth paste and electric toothbrush.
IIRC, told me by a silversmith.

likessleep Tue 16-Sep-08 12:34:35

do the washing up in them!

nailpolish Tue 16-Sep-08 12:41:06

steradent in a glass of warm water overnight

Bubbaloo Tue 16-Sep-08 20:36:38

Put them in a washing tablet bag and stick them in the dishwasher,if you have one.
My mum cleans all her jewellery that way and it comes out sparklinggrin.

ninedragons Wed 17-Sep-08 03:06:32

All of these will work, but don't do it if your ring has an emerald, a pearl or an opal in it. They are all soft and porous stones.

I use washing-up liquid and an old toothbrush.

miamla Wed 17-Sep-08 03:47:55

does anyone know what method would be best for platinum?

primigravida Wed 17-Sep-08 07:05:02

Does anyone know what works for opals?

ninedragons Wed 17-Sep-08 07:48:16

Is the opal scratched or just dirty? If it's dirty, I don't think you're supposed to use anything harsher than a chamois on it. They do get scratched easily, but it's a fairly minor job to have an opal re-polished professionally.

For platinum I would use something non-abrasive, so steradent or washing-up liquid. I wouldn't use toothpaste or put it in the dishwasher as the salts are quite abrasive.

primigravida Thu 18-Sep-08 00:35:48

Just dirty - I'll get a chamois cloth for them. Thanks ninedragons.

MrsSprat Thu 18-Sep-08 00:49:36

I find the hot towels they give you in Indian restaurants work brilliantly on rings, and always give mine a buff after a curry out. I'm sure the experience could be easily replicated at home too smile

GordonTheGopher Thu 18-Sep-08 07:49:03

Do check that the place you bought them from won't do it for free - both mine (Beaverbrooks and ahem Tiffany's) did it free of charge.

Nbg Thu 18-Sep-08 07:54:47

When I worked for a jewellers (been mentioned on this thread wink, we had to clean rings as it was part of the service when you sold eternity rings and engagement rings.
All we used to clean them was an ultrasonic cleaner with jewellery cleaner in one compartment and water in the other. After it soaked in the jewellery cleaner, just give it a brush with a toothbrush and then dip in water.

Someone else mentioned Opals, they are very pourus so shouldn't really be in contact with water as they can eventually crack.
Same for Emeralds too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now