Talk

Advanced search

Best way to freeze lunchbox sandwiches?

(16 Posts)
ipanemagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 11:49:21

I'm one day past my due date and dh keeps saying his mother used to freeze a whole week's worth of sandwiches at a time and that they were fine.

I have in the past found frozen sandwiches a tiny bit dry.

Anyone got any tips on filings and wrappings that work best?

I'd rather not use miles of clingfilm but perhaps that's the only way?

I tend to put ds's sandwiches in tupperware now trying to think of the planet and all!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 15-Sep-08 11:52:27

oh there you are ! was looking for you to see how you are..also am quite interested in freezing sandwiches as it happens - I didn't realise that you could - I guess you can't put salad stuff in them as they'd go slimy on defrosting

mil used to do this. dh said they were ming.

he has been so scarred by it that he doesn't even like me making the kids lunches the night before now.
he does their lunches every morning practically. even when he is leaving at 6.30am!

ipanemagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 11:56:09

MAS!!!

Thanks for your replyl! I'm still the Watched Pot, nothing like a due date to set a MIL into mild hysteria, she's so desperate for her next grandchild that I can feel her longing pulling at me like some kind of uber polar north!!!

We must wait together for the wisdom of this thread. I don't think the wise who kindly help the needy on this thread have EVER failed me. I respect them hugely.

How are you though? Did you see Tess!!!!! Is there a Tess thread??? I need to do my chores but will come back later. Where can I find you? grin
love from a wide load...

ipanemagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 11:58:46

thanks, mildmannered - that's some husband! Respect to you!
dh is the fussiest of eaters so they must have been good enough for him. I suspect she wrapped them in MILS of clingfilm enough to keep them fresh in the bloody pyramids for millenia knowing her!]

dh is still traumatised by tuna pasta bake which he had almost constantly as a child when his parents were really tight on cash..... I made it once and he looked at me as if I was trying to feed him a cow pat!

Food Trauma - so funny!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 15-Sep-08 12:00:10

no,didn't watch Tess I'm afraid - was it good ??
I am always here somewhere, you can always find my on the Elevenses thread ! am hoping your baby appears soon to spare you MIL fussing - will be thinking of you xxxxxx

ipanemagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 12:02:14

Thanks MAS! Will keep you posted! I though Tess was pretty good actually althought Alec surely too short for a really dashingly wicked Bad Man, you can't have Tess nearly looming over him can you? That ain't right.
But most of the rest of it is great apart from Angel Clare not being beautiful enough. await your views if you see it next week!

ipanemagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 20:30:32

bump hopefully........

ipanemagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 20:30:58

bump hopefully........

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Sep-08 09:10:58

tsk, no response - perhaps frozen sandwiches isn't such a good idea - trust you are well today Ipanema - hang on until my birthday !

ipanemagirl Tue 16-Sep-08 13:57:02

Hey MAS! It's my first let down from this thread! I'll just have to bite the bullet and ask MIL!

Feeling rough as hell today, thought it was starting last night but just backache at the mo... definitely getting closer!

Hope you're well grin

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Sep-08 14:18:25

ooh, exciting ! will be thinking of you !! keep bumping this in case there are any sandwich experts out there grin

jazzandh Wed 17-Sep-08 10:00:58

I have had frozen sandwiches and made them.

Used pate type spreads and pastes, can use grated cheese, but added ketchup! Never tried it - but I am sure that a tuna mayonnaise would work too. make sure bread is very fresh with plenty of butter up to the edges and freeze them in plastic bags - could reuse them if you were thrifty!

Actually they worked really well, nice and cool at luch time, not warm and curled up!

Good luck!

solo Wed 17-Sep-08 10:06:29

Me too! I used to make up two loaves worth of sandwiches for Ds and freeze them individually in sandwich bags. Ham and beef slices usually. They always came out soft and fresh, though the longer they are in the freezer, the dryer they will become. A week at a time will be fine. grin

ipanemagirl Wed 17-Sep-08 20:10:48

thanks v much I'll try that!

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 18-Sep-08 14:59:34

sounds good to me too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now