Talk

Advanced search

mattress cleans

(5 Posts)
mummypig Mon 15-Sep-08 11:20:05

I was wondering if it would be worth getting a company in to clean our mattresses. Ds1 has asthma so I'm sure it would benefit him. Also I have recently got some flea-like bites and was thinking it might be bed bugs (yuk).

The alternative is to buy one of the special vacuum cleaners that has the vibration and UV treatment stuff on it, and do it ourselves.

Has anyone had a company to do it and how much did it cost, roughly?

Has anyone used one of the special vacuum cleaners? And what about the sprays that are supposed to kill/deter dust mites but still be safe for humans?

thanks

misi Mon 15-Sep-08 18:33:11

I use a diluted mix of tea tree and eucalyptus oil with a touch of lavender oil on my sons mattress to kill off mites. apparently you can add a small amount of eucalyptus oil to your washing when you wash the sheets etc but I have never done this as I think you cannot use washing powder as it would break the oils down hmm other than that, the little steam cleaner things are pretty good, ( I have one that is for steam cleaning ovens and work surfaces, only small, holds about 300ml of water) fire one up and 'steam clean' the mattress. I would never use chemicals though as I am unconvinced of their safety, a child sleeping on a mattress that has been sprayed with chemicals? not sure about that one, wouldn't do it myself though as to be effective the chemicals have to persist and if they persist, they must be there when dry and the bed is used again

misi Mon 15-Sep-08 18:36:39

just read your profile mummypig, nutrition is a fascinating subject to take, I have sports nutrition and nutrition in general quals as part of my degree, and it really opens your eyes. not sure I liked the 'poo' side of it, well I am sure, I didn't like it, but again, highly fascinating wink

mummypig Mon 22-Sep-08 11:22:31

thanks for the advice misi, i share your scepticism about the 'safe' chemicals and will probably steer clear of them.

Sorry haven't had much chance to go on mumsnet recently especially as my ds1 seems to hog the laptop whenever possible smile. Yes I am still very much interested in nutrition but not sure when I will get the chance to study it - if only the OU did a whole nutrition degree instead of just a couple of modules.

Cappuccino Mon 22-Sep-08 11:23:51

I vacuum mine when I change the sheets and then spray with water with a few drops of patchouli in, which apparently is good for mites

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: