Talk

Advanced search

Our clean washable nappies don't smell nice anymore - advice?

(4 Posts)
SebbysMum Thu 11-Sep-08 20:51:19

We've been using washable nappies for over 8 months now. Lately I find that they don't smell fresh even after washing. Recently I've been washing them at 50 degrees with non-bio powder. Any advice on making them nice to use again? Is the trick to up the temperature or to change washing powder? We never used to have this problem.

PigeonPie Thu 11-Sep-08 20:55:49

I wash ours at 60 with EcoBalls and a Mag Ball (we're in a hard water area) and put some white vinegar in the conditioner section and DH says they are smelling much better (I have very little sense of smell!).

Woollymummy Thu 11-Sep-08 21:08:15

we use brown vinegar, as it was the only stuff to hand when it got rainy the other day, and it freshened the nappies wonderfully. it is esp when the cloth dries slowly that the smell of a ammonia starts to appear. good luck!

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Sep-08 21:11:31

1.) do a prewash. modern washing machines recycle water, so your nappies will always be washing in a diluted wee solution! prewash helps get most of it out before the main wash

2.) if still smelling do a hot wash with bicarb instead of washing powder

3.) white vinegar also good at keeping smells at bay, use in the fabric softener compartment so they get rinsed with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now