Talk

Advanced search

Let's have a lovely conversation about cleaning toilets, why don't we

(48 Posts)
Cappuccino Thu 11-Sep-08 14:57:12

so I get rid of my toilet brush because it is hideous and germ ridden as we all know

and I don't want to buy one of those papery scrubby things for £45.00 per clean or whatever

and I don't want to pour bleach endlessly down it either

so what do I do now then, eh?

eandh Thu 11-Sep-08 14:59:48

I stick my marigolds on every few days and just give it a good scrub with some toilert cleaner - mine is fine no limescale/marks (although tbh not the most favourite job)

Heathcliffscathy Thu 11-Sep-08 15:01:05

[watching this thread with interest]

Cappuccino Thu 11-Sep-08 15:01:40

oh I don't wnat to put my hands in there

sorry

I am on a 'minimum housework' jag at the moment

putting marigolds on and kneeling in front of the loo is not on the list

missblythe Thu 11-Sep-08 15:02:10

Me, I just chuck a ton of bleach down it.

If I were a better, greeneder person I would use rubber gloves, cloth, loo cleaner.

Put cloth in washing machine straight aftter you've done it, wash hands-with gloves still on!-with washing up liquid. Tuck gloves away out of sight so noone uses them for non-loo jobs.

Feature Thu 11-Sep-08 15:02:27

Toilet duck - the green one. Lovely.

and it's not bleach!!!!!

Feature Thu 11-Sep-08 15:03:00

Oh No not bleach...wait until capp sees that!

<sits and waits on reaction to bleach post>

Cappuccino Thu 11-Sep-08 15:03:14

but you must need to scrub it though really as well as putting stuff down?

Cappuccino Thu 11-Sep-08 15:03:30

feature I am all zen calm

I am ignoring bleach

MamaG Thu 11-Sep-08 15:03:36

Sorry but I'm a "lob-bleach-down-it" woman as well - anything ot minimise housework!

Feature Thu 11-Sep-08 15:09:14

I do scrub it occsionally. I also stick a mop down it frequently to un-block it. Very hands on here you know? hmm

Toilet duck is the dogs testies. Smells lovely.

Tbh I am getting a new bathroom suite so this one is very slightly neglected.....

jazzandh Thu 11-Sep-08 19:11:14

papery scrubby thing here - but tear them in half and also use the arm grabber bit with toilet paper wadge and new method toilet bowl cleaner stuff - lovely!

CostaRicanCod Thu 11-Sep-08 19:11:42

bleach

bellavita Thu 11-Sep-08 19:13:15

bleach

flamingtoaster Thu 11-Sep-08 19:28:05

I decided I couldn't live with a toilet brush indoors so I keep my toilet brush outside (round the side of the house under an overhang) and only bring it in when necessary. We have very hard water so I have to use Harpic Limescale remover. When finished cleaning the toilet I make sure the brush is well rinsed and clean and put it outside again.

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 19:29:48

I find distilled marigold water sprayed gently on the seat and in the pan cleans and gives a pleasant odour. It is also cost effective as I grow my own marigolds.

ellideb Thu 11-Sep-08 19:31:54

hmm

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 19:32:44

hmm?

crokky Thu 11-Sep-08 19:34:54

Go to ikea and get yourself a job lot of plain white toilet brushes. They cost either 69p or 99p, can't quite remember. Keep one by the bog, when you feel it has gathered enough germs, bin it.

what you can do is put a harpic tablet or something like that in the toilet overnight and then brush it, it will ahve loosened the filth.

anyway, my toilet is dirty! need to take my own advice really!

ellideb Thu 11-Sep-08 19:35:18

I can't decide if you are being serious or not RubyRioja. Your sentence made me laugh though.

southeastastra Thu 11-Sep-08 19:35:22

you need a brush, just put on a small bit of loo cleaner round the brim then scrub downwards. rinse out the brush afterwards. it's the cleanest nicest way honest.

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 19:36:16

Of course I use a toilet duck like the rest of the world grin
tee hee
I bet someone on here uses vinegar and lemon juice or something though

noonki Thu 11-Sep-08 19:37:38

I use bicarb of soda (table spoon in give it swirl and leave overnight,) once a week

and a bit of a scrub with washing up liquid every day or so

but I have an aversion to chemical cleaners in general

if it stains I shove all the water out and put in a can of coke overnight (have only done twice and worked well)

snooks Thu 11-Sep-08 19:43:44

It's not cleaning the loo bowl (if that's the right word, surely not, I eat out of a bowl) that bothers me, it's the other bits:

the underside of the seat seems to gather 'drips'
the hinges of the loo seat always look encrusted with germs [shudder]
the outside of the bowl (?) and god forbid, the back of the loo I don't like venturing towards for fear of germs and spiders

I would prefer to put the whole thing in the garden once a week and jet-spray it from a distance, but sadly that is not an option.

ellideb Thu 11-Sep-08 19:44:54

Thank Goodness for that, I thought you were about to get all defensive with me and come after me with your distilled marigold water whatever it was. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now